FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore is cutting off the ends of my mpg files

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Aikman
Encore is cutting off the ends of my mpg files
on Dec 27, 2012 at 4:31:01 pm

Hi out there!

I'm trying to author in Encore a DVD of a documentary I edited. I have two 45:00 episodes and one 2:25 trailer. Each file has a portion of the end clipped off. When I drag those files into the timeline, I can see the audio layer extend to the correct end but there is no longer any picture. I can stretch the video out to reveal the portion that has been clipped, but that segment of the timeline has hash marks in the video line, which tells me something is not quite right. Once I burn to DVD, that portion is lost again.

My workflow is Avid - Sorensen Squeeze - Encore. I am exporting a quicktime ref out of Avid, then squeezing that in Sorenson to an mpeg 2, then importing that mpeg 2 into Encore. I've investigated as to whether it's a drop frame/non drop issue. Doesn't seem to be the case. I've re-exported and re-squeezed a couple of times but nothing seems to change it.

Has anyone had to deal with this before? Any tips would be most appreciated.

best,
Trevor

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: Encore is cutting off the ends of my mpg files
on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:04:43 pm

Check to make sure that when you are exporting your MPEG streams via Sorenson Squeeze that your frame rate hasn't changed. A lot of times, it will get switched to 29.97 fps, which will cause it to speed up the duration of your stream, but the audio won't change. So double check your frame rate for both your audio and video before exporting.

Jessica Muth
jmuth01@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Aikman
on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:26:48 pm

Switched TO 29.97 fps? That's interesting. Are you saying I should be making sure to keep them at 30 fps?

Trevor Aikman
Editor
CBC Saskatchewan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 28, 2012 at 2:51:52 pm

Hi Trevor,

Easy fix - do NOT use a "multiplexed" MPEG-2 file, meaning one that has audio/video combined. Rather, export as two separate files. This will be .m2v video, and either .wav or .ac3 audio. If .wav, then Encore will automatically transcode to Dolby AC-3, so no worries.

Be sure to correctly bit budget so that the files you create will fit the DVD, otherwise Encore will transcode the video again, resulting in quality loss.

I typically use the formula 560/minutes=bitrate, and just round down the result a bit to allow for menu overhead, or just do a web search for "dvd bitrate calculator" and there are plenty.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Trevor Aikman
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:07:20 pm

Thank you, Jeff. I will give that a go!

Trevor Aikman
Editor
CBC Saskatchewan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:15:51 pm

Hi Trevor,

Considering your current project total length is about 93 minutes, you should be able to safely encode at 5.9, either CBR or using 5.9 as the AVG bitrate for VBR encoding. If using .wav audio you will notice that combined size of exported audio and video files may exceed the DVD capacity, but remember that Encore will transcode .wav to .ac3 so then it will fit. In Encore, use "File > Import > As Timeline" and Import the audio and video clips together at once.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Trevor Aikman
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:26:45 pm

When you refer to the encoding stage, you're referring to the Sorenson Squeeze step, correct? Or is that step in Encore?

Trevor Aikman
Editor
CBC Saskatchewan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:30:50 pm

Right, you are encoding to MPEG-2 in Sorenson. When imported into Encore, the video file will NOT get transcoded again. You can use default settings in Encore - audio is automatic - so nothing for you to do concerning encoding or transcode settings in Encore. Just make your menus, test and build.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Trevor Aikman
on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:14:19 pm

Jeff

Your suggestions solved the problem I was having wonderfully. However, I now have a new mystery problem.

When I try to Preview or Burn the DVD, I get the following error:

internal software error:...M2VFrameEncoder.cpp, line 153

Does that mean anything to you?

Trevor Aikman
Editor
CBC Saskatchewan

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:09:22 pm

I've had issues both on PC and Mac exporting from Avid to Sorenson Squeeze using QT reference files. Exporting a regular QT file solved all the issues including incomplete encodes.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:59:01 pm

Hi Trevor,

Adobe error codes are usually quite cryptic and mean little to the average mortal, but this one suggests maybe it doesn't like something in the .m2v file, so perhaps the encode is somehow corrupted from Squeeze? Try what the other guy suggested about QT files I guess

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Condit
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:34:27 pm

I don't know if I should post this as a new question since this thread happened awhile back, but I'll give it a go.

I am encoding Mpeg 2 (Main Concept, DVD Architect 24P NTSC widescreen video stream) out of Vegas, which I have done many times before. The file plays correctly in Media Player Classic from head to tail. When I import this file into Encore CS4 the video stops 13 seconds-11 frames before the end of the clip.

I re-encoded the piece from Vegas with the same result - full scene in Media Player, short scene in Encoder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 17, 2013 at 2:10:17 pm

Hi Phil,

What are you bringing into Encore - a single multiplexed file (video and audio) or separate assets, such as .m2v and .wav files?

Encore does NOT like a single file (.mpg), and can result in the type of issue you are having.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Condit
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:02:07 pm

Thank you very much for responding!

Yes, I am bringing in an mpeg file and an ac3 file. Vegas doesn't give me the option of outputting both simultaneously. Ac3 is important as this is a 5.1 audio track. I am thinking about loading all of my mpeg and ac3 segments together either in Vegas or Premiere and trying to output a single 90 minute mpeg file and ac3 file. When I tried to output my entire timeline from Vegas, it would process for a minute or two then crash my computer, turning it off. That's a separate issue I need to look into, but consequently, I have twenty four segments I need to assemble in Encore (unless I do the consolidation step mentioned above).

Any other suggestions/observations.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:06:37 pm

Phil,

When you say "mpeg file" does that mean there is audio in it? What is the file extension? Please export as .m2v, been a few years since I played with Vegas, but pretty sure it is possible with correct export settings.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Condit
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:08:09 am

Hi Jeff,

Vegas output an "mpg" file, rather than the "m2v" you recommend. It was extremely difficult to get Vegas to output the files so I imported the "mpg" and "ac3" files to Premiere, assembled them, and output that timeline to "m2v" and "wav" files, downgrading my 5.1 audio to stereo. I say 'files' because whenever I tried to output the entire timeline my computer would blink off - just like it did with Vegas - only I could output longer segments - up to 16 minutes without it crashing.

I imported those files to Encore. There were some discrepancies in length between the picture and sound files of a frame, or portion of a frame, which added up to two frames at the end of a 90 minute timeline. I was willing to live with that. But when I checked the program before building a disc it reported, four errors, all "The gap...must have a duration of either zero, or at least 0.4 seconds". I checked every place where the segments came together and could find no gaps. I re-output the files from Premiere and got better matching lengths of video and audio files. That took it down to three gaps, but after three times outputting and building timelines I figure I'm not going to get rid of them that way.

When I first got the "four gaps" message, I went ahead and connected all the navigation in the flow chart and attempted to build the disc. I received an abort screen stating, "PGC 'EV timeline' has an error at 5385.1965s. The aspect ratio of this file is not supported by DVD." I output all the files exactly the same way. There was nothing at that point in the timeline.

Any suggestions on how I can make a DVD of my 90 minute film?

I am stumped because I have made many DVDs prior to this without any of these problems.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 20, 2013 at 1:36:37 pm

Hi Phil,

You say that neither Vegas nor Premiere can export any segment more than few minutes long without crashing. That tells me you computer is ill. You need to address that root problem and then the rest will fall into place.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Condit
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:36:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

When you're right, you're right! A faulty power supply was sending out borderline voltages. I got that voltage up and it output a continuous file for Encore. Hopefully, that takes care of my problem.

Thank you VERY MUCH for helping me with this problem!

-Phil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]