FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hd to pal DVD advice please

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Rogers
Hd to pal DVD advice please
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:06:30 pm

I have 1280 x 720 29.97fps footage that I want to output to YouTube as 1280 x 720 but also as a PAL DVD 720 x 576 25fps but If I can avoid it I didn’t want to render for hours for each type of file.

I tried creating the H264 1280 YouTube video then dropping that into Encore and creating the DVD but I get jittery video on the DVD.

If I output a small sample of the video as MPEG2 and use that to create the DVD its fine, no jitter

Could somebody give me an idea why I can’t use the H264 video to create the DVD output, do I really have to render out for hours in MPEG format or hours rendering again via dynamic link from Premiere to Encore

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Hd to pal DVD advice please
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:28:28 pm

Hi Dave,

DVD is a specification - the video MUST be encoded as MPEG-2 with certain specific parameters. So even though you already rendered the H.264 clip, when you drop that into Encore to make a DVD, Encore must Re-Render (Transcode) the clip again to proper MPEG-2 codec, so you're not saving yourself any time. You just can't cheat it.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Dave Rogers
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:35:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeff but it does save a load of time as it doesn’t have to calculate the stabilisation, noise reduction, color grade etc etc for the second output. The full Premiere output take 1.5 hrs to render but if I use that H264 file to create the DVD it renders in 15 mins not 1.5 hrs.

If it was just for this occasion I wouldn’t be so bothered but I have a few videos I want to do the same process on and I am trying to get my head around where this jittering is coming from. Is it going from progressive to interlaced or the frame rate conversion.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:06:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Well that makes a difference, you didn't previously mention that you had render-heavy effects applied. Then you may want to export an intermediate file, creating a "master" clip and be able to then (quickly) encode other formats from that.

I see you are going from 30p to 25p, so I don't know what bearing that will have on playback smoothness. Don't know if you're on Mac or PC either. On PC, install the Lagarith or Avid DNxHD codec to master to, these look lossless.

You don't want to encode to H.264 for YouTube, which is highly compressed, and then convert that back to DVD for TV viewing, too much loss not going on with conversions.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:16:44 pm

hi,
best way to go to PAL DVD is a format-conversion, as you need to go 720x576@25fps

but 60fps is a very, very bad starting-point for PAL. you should use after effect and interprete your footage as 25fps, the speedup the entire video to get back to the original duration. luckily you are progressive so you wont get in trouble with interlaced picture.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Dave Rogers
on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:00:05 pm

Thanks Jeff and Danny

I will take your advice on installing the Lagarith codec and I will try out the AE interpret footage technique for Pal conversion.

Greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]