FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encode & burn settings for 2.5 hour wedding video

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike DeSimpliciis
Encode & burn settings for 2.5 hour wedding video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:09:49 pm

I have Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium and I am trying to encode and burn a DVD that has 2.5 hours of video. The source files (I captured 2 VHS tapes into Premiere Pro) are over 32GB. I exported the files to Adobe Media Encoder. For the export settings I used the standard NTSC High Quality preset...I changed the audio settings to dolby digital & left the video settings per the preset. I imported the encoded files into Encore, however, they are over 5 GB and so Encore won't allow me to build a DVD unless I use a dual layer DVD (which I tried and which doesn't work 100% on playback of a few different DVD players). I appreciate any recommendations (i.e. encoder settings, etc.) that would allow me to burn the video onto a single DVD.

Mike D.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Encode & burn settings for 2.5 hour wedding video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:26:39 pm

Too much video to be on a SL disc. You'll need to go DL unless you want to bump the bitrate down below 4 Mb/s....around 3.5 to be exact

Return to posts index

Mike DeSimpliciis
on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:46:58 pm

Thanks Eric. I tried burning to DVD+R DL discs with mixed results (some aren't able to be read by my Yamaha dvd player or my panasonic all in 1 tv-vhs-dvd), so I thought if I tried to burn to a single layer DVD I'd have better luck with playback.

Mike D.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 15, 2012 at 3:17:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Most people will suggest not putting this much video on a DVD, but I have done it many times. Results depend on the source footage. I've done a lot of dance recitals and since most of the image (background) is dark and static and just the performers are moving, it actually comes out looking nice!

A wedding can be different if for instance there are a lot of flashing lights during the dancing. The constant abrupt changes in the scene can reveal a lot of compression artifacting, but since the source appears to be old VHS footage, maybe it will look satisfactory for your needs.

I determine the data rate for the DVD using a formula from Adobe, which is 560/minutes=data rate, and I round down slightly for safety margin (menu overhead etc).

So 560/150=3.73, so 3.6 should work fine. I would use VBR 2-Pass with 3.6 as the average and that will allow the compressor to allocate more bits where needed, and less where not so important, to balance out the quality. Maybe something like 2 min, 3.6 avg, 6 max? You can try some short samples and see how it looks on disc.

Start with the same NTSC High Quality preset as before, and just set the data rate and don't touch anything else. This will export an .m2v video and .wav audio file. Import those into Encore, and Encore will convert the audio to Dolby AC-3 for you.

Good luck

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mike DeSimpliciis
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:36:48 pm

Thanks Jeff! The encoding worked fine with your recommended data rate settings and it kept the compressed file size under 4.7GB so I am in the processing of building the video on a single sided DVD. Any opinions on burning a DVD-R vs. DVD+R? I appreciate all your help!

Mike D.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:55:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Years ago it seemed that the -R had broader compatibility than +R, but the newer DVD players don't care anymore, either should work but I have just always stuck with DVD-R for consistency and duplicate hundreds every year and NEVER a compatibility issue. Ever. Had one come back recently, but that one was blank...oops.

jeff

Return to posts index

Mike DeSimpliciis
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:31:31 am

Thanks again Jeff! Really appreciate all your help and advice.

Mike D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]