FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore 5.5 DVD menu and chapters

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bram Van Workum
Encore 5.5 DVD menu and chapters
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:21:23 pm

arrgh it's been taking me forever this damned project. Now that i'm finally up for the whole DVD bit, Encore throws me a stick.

I made a main menu and chapters menu in PS. Made sure it had buttons with highlights n such.

In encore made a timeline and imported a sequence from Pre 5.5 which had chapter markers.

added music for the menu pages and added a chapterplaylist

Linked, in hte main menu the playlist to "play" and the chapters page to the "Scenes" Button in the main menu.

Made sure chapters had a button to link back to the main menu and 6 chapter buttons.

Linked the buttons to the chapter markers and they all got their respective names ie: timeline: chapter; cookie dough and so on.

The chapterplaylist seems to work in Encore preview but when i go to scenes and select a chapter button, i dont get a chapter it just pops back to the main menu.

The only thing i did for the chapters was link'em to a marker. I didnt even set an end action.

this worked fine before. the only thing i noticed is that now it makes a reference to the timeline and not just a chapter when i drag the linkwhip thingy to a marker.

Am i making some sense? Hope so :)

Edit: I should mention that in the flowchart it all looks okay

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Encore 5.5 DVD menu and chapters
on Oct 29, 2012 at 5:04:18 pm

Is there a specific reason you are using a Chapter Playlist? Unless you need the disc to return to the main menu after each chapter or want it to play the different chapters in a unique order instead of straight through, then you should not be using a chapter playlist. Simply link the scene buttons to the chapters of the timeline.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:03:47 pm

Well I wanted both. If "they" select the scenes/chapters option i'd want every chapter to return to the menu and also if they select "Play" it should paly all the chapters in one go.

The playlist just does the whole list and the chapters dont return to the menu when i play them individually. Als setting an end action for each chapter ruins the playlist.

Last but not least Encore doesnt take over all the highlights i made in the menu. Just one highlight appeared in the DVD...

I'm thinking i'd better use Pinnacle studio for the DVD making process and skip Encore all together...

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:14:28 pm

So what you want to do is have a single timeline for all the scenes, with chapter markers separating each one.

Your "Play" button will be linked to Chapter 1 of the main timeline.

You then need to create a chapter playlist for EACH chapter, that contains only that chapter. The end action of the chapter playlist will link back to the scene menu, and you can even have it select that button or the next in the list.

You then simply link each scene button to it's corresponding chapter playlist.

If there is a problem with your button highlights, make sure you resolve that as it will most definitely cause problems. It could be a problem with your button routing or button group/layer prefixes in Photoshop.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 29, 2012 at 10:18:28 pm

Ok, didnt consider playlists for all the chapters! thanks!

As for the highlights. I use CS5 edition of Encore. I'd like to send you my 2 psd files for "review" so to speak.

The Main menu psd works fine in Encore if I use the preview function. Its the "chapters" one thats failing. What i did in both files is the following:

A folder layer with some text in it and a line I drew with the Linetool. The text is just that. The name of the line always is: (=1) Highlight The folder wherein the line resides is: (+)Menu or (+) chapter.

Thats it, i didnt do much else other than add an image and a color solid to make the background. So its all folder layers with these operators (+) or (=) in 'm

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 29, 2012 at 10:23:35 pm

Ok, didnt consider playlists for all the chapters! thanks!

As for the highlights. I use CS5 edition of Encore. I'd like to send you my 2 psd files for "review" so to speak.

The Main menu psd works fine in Encore if I use the preview function. Its the "chapters" one thats failing. What i did in both files is the following:

A folder layer with some text in it and a line I drew with the Linetool. The text is just that. The name of the line always is: (=1) Highlight The folder wherein the line resides is: (+)Menu or (+) chapter.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Oct 29, 2012 at 10:27:04 pm

Please send me an email and I'd be happy to take a quick look at it. You can find my email in the contact section of our website.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 29, 2012 at 10:49:35 pm

ok, mailed it to the info section on your website

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:42:40 pm

Soo that helped a lot but i'm still not quite there.

In the main menu the play button leads to the timeline, which plays front to back and reverts to the main menu when done, Good!

The scenes button leads to the chapters menu with all the chapters selectable. I made sure that each chapter button links to a playlist, which in turn play one chapter. So I now have six buttons that each lead to their own playlist to play their respective chapters. The end action = Return to last menu.

In Encore preview it neatly returns each chapter to the chapters menu but if I play the movie in , say, Windows media player classic or any other device it doesnt return to the chapters menu. It just keeps playing until the last chapter where it has to take en end action.

all in all the chapter menu now serves as a sort of stepoff point from where you want to start watching the film. I'd prefer it if my DVD had the option to play the whole film via "play" and just a selected chapter via "chapter"

any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:48:59 pm

If that's not working for whatever reason, you can always export each chapter as it's own video, then import each one as a timeline. You can then link each chapter to it's corresponding timeline, then create a regular "Playlist" (not a Chapter Playlist) for the Play button on the main menu, which plays through all the timelines. This method unfortunately prevents you from using the chapter previous button to go back to the previous timeline/chapter.

The chapter playlist method should work though. So your end action for each chapter playlist is to return to the last menu? How about instead of returning to the last menu, you actually specify the menu? See if that makes any difference.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:52:28 pm

Did that, same result. If I play via the Chapters menu (and i can select any chapter) it wil keep going till the end of the timeline. I've set it to End action: Main Menu. This way i made sure that it reverts to the dvd menu.

Pressing stop just stops the whole thing by the way. It doesnt return to the menu but that might be becuase i'm not using an actual DVD-player to watch it but a media streamer between my PC and TV.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:05:48 pm

It seems your media streamer is not respecting the DVD programming on the disc, and is instead just playing through the vob file.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:15:09 pm

It;s not respecting my authority-ing !?

I got it to play but the quality result is not what i desired.. I'm still finding it rather difficult to understand the things i need to do to keep the same quality.

Right now i'm trying a blu-ray version. I matched my project settings when i had premiere output a MPEG-2 for blu-ray (the project was avchd from sony .mts) so i made the MPEG-2 1920*1080 square pixel upper field first 25fps at a high bit rate (30 something for target and 36 for max.)

Encore turned it into a blu0ray and said i didnt need to transcode the m2v file as it was allready legal for blu-ray.... I had it make a blu-ray folder and when i went to the streams folder i saw that it hat turned the MPEG2 into .m2ts... so it transcoded again?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:46:10 pm

The m2ts is just the container file. Your m2v file info is contained within that m2ts without modification. It also includes some header info for the stream, which is why you will notice the m2ts file is larger than your original m2v and audio file combined. This is normal.

Had you imported an h.264 file, you will notice is also places it into an m2ts stream without re-transcoding.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Bram Van Workum
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:52:25 pm

I see. I thought the m2v was the container for an MPEG-2 and thus thought it would remain the same. Pity my mediadevice refuses to show the Blu-Ray menu though. But considering that i got the DVD's right and that the BLu-ray movies plays well also I'm just gonna assume that it will work out now.

thanks for the help. I've learned a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]