FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert Nikon D800 footage from H.264 to ProRes for Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John-Paul Palescandolo
Convert Nikon D800 footage from H.264 to ProRes for Encore?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 8:55:23 pm

This question encompasses a few different things, so apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in.

Two weeks ago, I shot a short promo video using the Nikon D800. I made dailies for viewing by bringing everything into Final Cut, using Compressor to make both H.264 Blu-ray and SD dailies and then burned the discs with no issues at all. Everything played back fine as well.

Our shooting schedule allowed for two off days in before our final day of shooting, so I went around just having fun with the camera and shot both my dogs and my sister's dogs. When I got around to putting the footage on Blu-ray for us to watch - again, H.264 Blu-ray files using Compressor - everything imported into Encore without a problem, except for one clip. With this clip, Encore gave me an error message that said the proper video decoding software was not installed on the system. I tried re-booting the computer and when that didn't work, I tried re-encoding the original file two more times, but to no avail.

Finally, I tried running it through Compressor and converted the original H.264 D800 file to Appe ProRes 422. I then ran it through Compressor again to make a Blu-ray H.264 file and it imported into Encore with no problem.

So, is it generally suggested to convert H.264 footage to Apple ProRes 422 for editing work, or was this just a fluke thing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]