FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get the best quality - Canon 5D MKII to DVD using Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Houshour
How to get the best quality - Canon 5D MKII to DVD using Encore
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:04:10 pm

I have a 6 minute piece, completely shot on a Canon 5D MKII that I need to get onto a DVD. I'm using a Premiere Pro CS6 timeline dynamic linked to Encore. I burn the DVD, and it just looks bad. Looks low quality.

In the Encore transcode settings, I've chosen "Progressive High Quality 7MB VBR 2Pass" setting. I checked the "Use Maximum Render Quality" box. Codec is H.264, Dimensions 1920x1080, 23.96, Quality preset: 1920x1080p 23.976 Maximum Quality H.264.

I rendered again, and after 3 hours burning to DVD, it looks just as bad.

I know that DVD is never great looking, but am I missing something??
The Canon footage looks great but the DVD is awful.
It's bumming me out!!

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: How to get the best quality - Canon 5D MKII to DVD using Encore
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:04:32 pm

DVD is 720x480. What did you use the first time?

When downrezzing from HD to SD, many users do not like dynamic link and export directly from Premiere/AME.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Bradley Houshour
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:30:11 pm

The first time I was using the default Transcode settings in Encore of NTSC DV High Quality 7Mb VBR 2Pass without the "Use Maximum Render Quality" checked, and a frame rate of 29.97.

Would I get a better picture if I export to MPEG-2 from Premiere and create my timeline that way?

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:59:29 pm

I would take a short segment (2-5 minutes) that represents the range of action in your material; then export from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD at 8CBR. Burn it to disk in Encore and watch of a regular tv and also on HD with an upscaling player. You need some perspective re how the HD is going to look when downrezzed.

Many users now believe the Premiere process is acceptable, but there are many alternatives.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]