FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore squeezes fab image sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Schmölzer
Encore squeezes fab image sequence
on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:21:07 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently facing the challenge to add Mandarin Subtitles to an Adobe Encore Project.

After I gave up on text scripts and even on manually copying and pasting the text into Adobe Encore, as it doesn't support any double-bit-characters (which Mandarin unfortunately exists of). Therefore I switched to the freeware software "subtitleedit" today and imported my chinese subtitles there (which fortunately worked :) ) and exported them again to a fab image sequence.

So far so good... Unfortunately subtitleedit doesn't let me take any influence on the images output size (although I can determine the size of my video, the images just always turn out to be any random size).

Now if I go to Encore and import the fab image sequence (by rightclicking on the subtitle track and clicking import fab sequence), I first get a window displaying my correct subtitle and asking me to specify which color is the foreground, background, border... Next in line is a window diplaying me my final subtitle and the safe frame and suddenly my subtitle is streched all over the frame. There are no real options for me to choose so I click ok again.

This results in me having the subtitles in my project neglecting the timecodes and just being arranged one after the other in the timeline (its only an 15min movie so I could fix that manually) and all my subtitles are squeezed and distorted at the lowest edge of the picture (vertically squeezed together and horizontally stretched out of frame - which now IS a real problem). The movie was shot in CinemaScope and the subtitle is squeezed in the black area underneath the picture which resulted by the movies conversion to 16:9. When I click on the subtitles Encore wont give me any parameters to change or finetune (besides the color).

That's where I'm stuck.
To cut a long story short: I export from subtitleedit (I can put textsize, colour, and framesize here - although framesize is neglected), I import into Encore (only parameter I can change is to identify the color of my text) and finally I can't see any options concerning the subtitle that I could change in Encore after the import.

Does anybody ever had a similar problem?

You would really make my day!!! I'm simply so fed up with Encore I just want to get through with this project!

Cheers, Lisa


Return to posts index

Lisa Schmölzer
Re: Encore squeezes fab image sequence
on Sep 24, 2012 at 9:38:39 am

Nobody?

Or does anybody have any idea how I can import Mandarin subs in Encore without lacking the characters or having to buy any additional software?


Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
Re: Encore squeezes fab image sequence
on Oct 14, 2012 at 8:01:18 am

Hi Lisa,

I am using http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/subtitles/fcp_vers_adobe_encore

to convert the text for Encore. Not sure if that helps you at this point.
I am having another issue, which you might be able yo help :
Some of the characters show as Squares in Encore.
Any tips on how to get that fixed?

Ronen


Return to posts index


Lisa Schmölzer
Re: Encore squeezes fab image sequence
on Oct 14, 2012 at 10:55:46 am

Hi Ronen,

As far as I've understood you want get any not-asian-Adobe Version to display those characters. The reason is that Chinese has more unique characters than you would be able to display with just one bit. Thats why some characters need two bits to be discribed, which I suppose European/American... Adobe Versions don't support. (Give your characters a try in i.e. Photoshop - at least for me they also showed up as squares there).

So unless you don't change to an asian version of encore (which I suppose would support those characters - although that's just a guess), there is no way to fix this issue.

That's the reason why I changed to suptitleedit to create a fab image sequence that contained all the characters and resulted in me having a tif file for every subtitle. Unfortunately - as described in my initial post - I got stuck with importing the sequence into encore (although fab image sequnces are specially designed for encore) as the allways ended up to be extremly distorted.

I finally gave up on the problem and as I had sufficient space on my DVD/Bluray, I simply imported my tif files from subtitleedit to Premiere and produced a Version with burned in subtitels there - Not the optimal solution, but at least it does the job and all the characters where correctly displayed.

Hope that helped your case and if you find any other solution I would be curious if you would let me know.

Cheers, Lisa


Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
Re: Encore squeezes fab image sequence
on Oct 14, 2012 at 10:00:42 pm

you can try http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/TitleExchange/ for the subtitle translation, its the most comprehensive software but cost money for the full version.

test of 50 subtitles is free.

for the Asian text i found some font that work like the Kozuka Gothic for JAPANESE or Adobe Fan Heiti or Hiragino for Chinese.

Encore is still light years from being a solid application for DVD OR Blyray authoring.

Ronen


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]