FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video File Size Issues - Adobe Encore CS5.5

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Banks
Video File Size Issues - Adobe Encore CS5.5
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:13:35 pm

Hi, Cow Folks. I have a couple of frustrating and perplexing issues which have presented themselves while trying to create my first dual layer Blu-ray:

(1)The files I have created are less than the disc's physical capacity of 46.6 GB, but, after loading only two of the videos I need to use (a total of 29.8 GB), Encore (CS5.5) registers the disc as being full.

(2)I put the time and effort into creating what I thought would be Blu-ray compliant H.264 files via Adobe Media Encoder (Format: H.264 Blu-ray) prior to importing them to eiliminate the need to transcode any media. I have done this successfully with a single layer Blu-ray before. However, all four of my video files for this project import needing to be transcoded. Why?

The single layer Br files I made previously were 1 pass VBR @ 25/30 Mbps Target/Maximum, and one of these files imports into my current project correctly and does not need to be transcoded! My current video files were encoded as 2 pass VBR @ 15/19 Mbps Target/Maximum.

Why is Encore behaving so inaccurately and strangely with my 2 pass VBR .M4V files?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

-Michael

Avid Media Composer 6 (HP Z400 Workstation: Windows 7 64-bit; Intel Xeon 6 Core W3680 CPU; 6 GB RAM); Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium; DepthQ Stereoscopic; Digital Rapids StreamZHD v.3.7.2.25.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: Video File Size Issues - Adobe Encore CS5.5
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:35:45 pm

CS5 H.264 2 pass bug.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3876184

However, see post 20 in the following link, where Jeff Bellune is suggesting (I think) that this may not be a single 2 pass vbr bug, but a relationship between the profile also.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/697684

Fixed in CS6 I think.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:52:07 pm

Awesome information, Stan. I may try the profile work-around. My files were encoded at "High" and not "Main". Thanks!

-Michael

Avid Media Composer 6 (HP Z400 Workstation: Windows 7 64-bit; Intel Xeon 6 Core W3680 CPU; 6 GB RAM); Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium; DepthQ Stereoscopic; Digital Rapids StreamZHD v.3.7.2.25.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:13:54 pm

Let us know...

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06:23 pm

Stan, that work-around was the trick! In my H.264 Blu-ray export settings I changed the "profile" setting from "High" to "Main", and the test file I created via Adobe Media Encoder imported into Encore with no need to transcode it. I don't get my wasted encoding time back, but that's what nights and weekends are good for. Thanks again!

A couple more annoying aspects to Encore that perhaps you can shed light on: why does Encore misrepresent the disc space available? I know that my dual layer Blu-ray disc is only 46.6 GB, but Encore reads it as 50 GB. Furthermore, the total file size of my encoded video files was 45 GB, but Encore told me that my media size was over the disc's capacity. Why does this happen?

-Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Aug 31, 2012 at 11:10:26 pm

Soryy. Correction: Encore registers the media @ 49.97 GB, though it is really only 45 GB.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Sep 1, 2012 at 1:01:15 am

I have heard that Encore estimates (until the build some sizes are just estimates), and that a fudge factor is added. The size of the fudge was increased between CS4 and CS5?

Also, it seems to me that Encore was making each chapter into its own video on disk?

In any case, for some projects, undershooting made Encore happy.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:45:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation and extra information, Stan.

It's frustrating to deal with overestimated media sizes in Encore since I want to maximize the video quality on my disc (my run time is very long, 7 hrs 20 mins), but I now know what kind of shenanigans I am dealing with when using Encore for such a large project.

Thanks again! Your quick response to my post is greatly appreciated!

-Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Sep 6, 2012 at 12:12:56 am

Aaahhhhh!!! Well, the "Main Profile" work-around worked for a short clip on a disk with no menus, but my actual project with long videos, a main menu, and a pop-up menu isn't faring as well.

Out of the 4 videos I encoded in Adobe Media Encoder with the profile set to "Main", only one of them imports as "Don't Transcode". And this one video is the largest file. I don't understand.

There was one instance when I had two videos imported as "Don't Transcode", but I wasn't able to figure out why, nor was I able to repeat it after scrapping that version of the project.

Due to my deadline, I must be resigned for the moment to letting Encore transcode what it says it needs to, adding huge amounts of time to a project which should've been done by now.

Word to the wise: Don't assume things will go smoothly with a different type of project using the same software (in my case, a dual layer 2 pass VBR Blu-ray instead of a single layer CBR disc).

-Michael

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Sep 6, 2012 at 12:44:55 am

I know it is time for you to complete this, but curious. Did you try the 1-pass VBR workaround?

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Michael Banks
on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:03:49 pm

Stan, yes, I ended up re-encoding the files as 1 pass VBR H.264 files.

The quality is completely presentable for our needs, but it is a shame that I currently can't use 2 pass VBR to get the BEST quality possible.

Thanks for your assistance and knowledge!

-Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]