FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode settings suggestions

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Betts
Transcode settings suggestions
on Jul 14, 2012 at 1:26:42 pm

Tried several different transcode settings in attempt to achieve best image quality. Not totally pleased with results. Viewing finished standard definition DVD on HD monitor and expect some loss of image quality. Am I expecting too much in the way of image quality from an Encore produced standard definition DVD viewed on an HD monitor? Any recommendations for transcode setting to achieve best image quality results?

Return to posts index

Jesse Mattson
Re: Transcode settings suggestions
on Jul 14, 2012 at 11:23:40 pm

Too many variables at this point- the upscaling of the DVD players are all different. Some, like an xbox 360, do a pretty good job. Others don't, so it's hard to say if it's an Encore issue. If it looks ok on your PC/Mac at SD 720x480 resolution (not scaled up or fullscreen) then it's not a transcoding or other Encore problem.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 15, 2012 at 10:50:43 pm

Hey thanks. Got a question about frame rate. When compressing my 1280x720 59.97 fps high def sequence down to standard definition to fit on a DVD do you recommend maintaining the same frame rate as the edited sequence or selecting a frame rate of 29.97 to go with the 740x480 resolution? I compared the 2 different frame rates side by side in QuickTime and could not notice any real difference.

Return to posts index

Jesse Mattson
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:07:48 am

all NTSC DVDs are 29.97. If you don't transcode it that way, Encore will.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:16:40 am

So regardless of what frame rate setting I select in say Quicktime conversion or Apple Compressor, Adobe Encore will set for 29.97 during the transcode process for a standard definition DVD? Would it effect the transcode process in a more efficient way if the video file that I import into Encore was already 29.97 or is the frame rate really an issue here? Got to add my chapter points and create a chapter playlist next in Encore. Just want to my Timeline to be the best image quality it can be before transcoding.

Return to posts index

Jesse Mattson
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:43:33 am

Correct. If you transcode as mpeg-2 (.m2v) 720x480, 29.97 fps, then you can tell Encore to not re-transcode it. Otherwise you will be forced to when you build the final disc. The only option you have is changing the bitrate, which affects the quality. Also, the audio can be either WAV/AIF or AC3 which will save file size. Usually people will use 8mb/s video and 192K/s AC3 audio.

By transcoding it before you use it in Encore, you save time when you build the final disc, and have a little more control over the quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]