FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS6 can't open project

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trey YaNCY
Encore CS6 can't open project
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:13:33 pm

I created a project, saved it, output the DVD and quit. No issues or freezes. Now, when I try to open the project I get this message:

Cannot open project. The folder for this project cannot be found.

All of the content and folder hierarchies are exactly as Encore saved them but no dice. I have no option but to completely redo the project from scratch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-TY

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: Encore CS6 can't open project
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:43:40 pm

This message is a sure sign something did change. The main Encore project folder has the same name as the .ncor file (e.g. "Beach.ncor" has a folder "Beach" that is in the same folder as the project file). And inside the folder "Beach" are various Encore folders (e.g. Cache, Sources). If you move the project file or move the folders. Encore can't find them.

Where is the project file? Do you see the folder with its same name?

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Trey Yancy
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:55:55 pm

Nope. Nothing. The folder and all subfolders are as they were named by Encore and in the same locations. There are no options other than to quit.

One thing this tells me is that a programmer didn't bother putting any relative links into the code. The app should be able find files in the same parent folder and predesignated subfolders.

I tried yanking the prefs files but the problem continues.

My next step would be to uninstall and reinstall the app. This is a golden master. There may be a more recent version available.

-TY

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Jul 8, 2012 at 10:00:21 pm

I hear you, but the links are all relative to the project file location.

You probably tried this, but if you are opening Encore and then picking that file from the recent list, try selecting from the Open Project button.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Trey Yancy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:27:14 am

Thanks,

I have tried by both double clicking on the .ncor file directly and by trying to open it from the splash screen. Using the latter I can navigate to the folder but once I am in, there is nothing highlighted but the project file. Either way, I still get the same message.

Regarding relative file paths, if Encore cannot recognize the folder that directly contains it or any of the other files / folders at the same level as the project file, something is wrong.

Here are the contents of the project folder:

Cache (folder)
(Project Name) Title Still.png
Project Name) Menu Art.png
Project Name).aac
Project Name).m2v
Project Name).mp4
Project Name).ncor
ProjectMedia.acx
ProjectPrefs.xml
ProjectWorkspace.xml
Sources (Folder)

I see that Adobe's recommendation regarding all issues with Encore is to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for your assistance,

-TY

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:06:14 pm

[Trey Yancy] "Cache (folder)
Project Name).ncor"

This indicates that your project file "Project Name).ncor" is inside the project folder. The folders "cache" and "sources" are also inside that folder. Move the .ncor file to the next level up and give it a try.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:49:29 pm

Trey please keep us up to date on the issue and
any workaround or fix you find.

I don't use Encore except for simple blu-ray discs,
and I have more faith in CS 6 since its a 64-bit re-write
but this problem your having is a doozy.

Return to posts index

Trey Yancy
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:07:32 pm

I don't produce BluRay projects. Frankly I much prefer DVD Studio Pro - intuitive and, in my opinion, superior to Encore. Even though Apple axed it when FCPX ("iCut") was released, I still use it.

Return to posts index

Jez Emin
on Oct 14, 2012 at 11:45:10 am

I have this exact same problem and it has nothing to do with moving folders etc.

I finally created a DVD project I was happy with after having worked on it for days, the purpose of which was to create a template to do future DVDs from...... and now I've lost the work....

Luckily I have some project backups I made but that still means I've lost a day's progress.

It isn't even as though Encore automatically backs up files every n minutes.....

This is my first professional experience with Encore and if this is a sign of things to come, I can't work like this.

Return to posts index

Chris Fernandez
on Sep 5, 2013 at 6:16:25 pm

This saved me. You nailed it kind sir. I was freaking out at work trying to figure out what went wrong. I simply took the project file itself "(project name).ncor" out of the project folder that contained the cache and source files and it loaded right up. You saved my day and even earned me some kudos at work. Thank you. In fact i created this account just to thank you.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:55:17 pm

Excellent!

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]