FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a PAL DVD but getting unwanted pillarbox

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Haynes
Making a PAL DVD but getting unwanted pillarbox
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:00:07 pm

I'm kind of new to Encore and I'm having trouble with a PAL DVD. My source is a 720x576 letterboxed m2v PAL file. The problem is when I bring it into Encore, Encore is also pillarboxing it so that it has black around the entire file. The source is not pillarboxed. How can I fix this?

A little detail about the project. It's a simple first play PAL DVD with one m2v video asset. No menu. I have the project settings set to:
Authoring mode: DVD
Television Standard: PAL
Transcode Settings: Codec: MPEG-2; Dimensions 720x576; Frame Rate: 25; Fields: Lower Field First; Audio Transcoding Scheme: Dolby Digital; Maximum Audio/Video Bitrate: 9.4 Mbps

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Making a PAL DVD but getting unwanted pillarbox
on Jun 17, 2012 at 1:55:34 pm

robert,
first of all - your bitrate is much to high. 9.4Mbit will not work on burned discs, the max. bitrate would be 8.5Mbit (video and audio incl.).

what do you mean by letterboxed? anamorph 16:9 or letterboxed 4:3?!

PAL-DVDs will only be lower first as the source-material is DV-material, DV, DVCPRO25, DVCPRO50 or DVCAM. all other PAL-source is upper field first.

if the original is 16:9 letterboxed, you need to encode the MPEG2 as 16:9 using adobe media encoder or any other encoder.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Robert Haynes
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:46:16 pm

Hi Danny. Thanks for the response. The file is neither anamorphic or letterboxed 4:3. It is PAL 720x576 letterboxed with a 16:9 video. I've already encoded the original which was a DVCPro HD file. When I bring it into Encore, Encore is adding a slight pillar box on the sides of the frame making the entire 16:9 video be surrounded in black.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:36:07 pm

robert,
if it´s a real 16:9 PAL-clip it IS anamorph, as 16:9 with aspec 1:1 would be 1024x576 instead of 720x576.

but if your source is DVCPRO HD, this is HD and need to be scaled to SD prior encoding, and if it is 1080i50-source, it needs to be cropped left and right to fit to 720x576.

what encoder do you use to create your PAL SD MPEG2? adobe strangely using a different aspec-ratio (1050x576), but your encoded file will be 720x576 as well.

are you using adobe media encoder?

NOTE: DVCPRO HD has a native resolution of 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080, it´s an anamorph HD-resolution.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]