FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperlinks

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Hyperlinks
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:46:31 am

Hi all,

A client has asked that we create a series of DVD's that have embedded hyperlinks that will allow users to click on them when the DVD is launched on a PC or Mac, and visit an e-shop via the web. Is this possible with encore?

I have found older references to eDVD4 but this wont run on our Windows 7 machines. Any assistance would be much appreciated. I've tried to point them to having an interactive DVD-ROM that will open on any desktop, but they want the product to be available for use on normal DVD players too....

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Hyperlinks
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:09:38 pm

Perhaps Scenarist, maybe DVD Studio Pro? The bad taste in my mouth comes from Apple buying Spruce Maestro and discontinuing it. In the late 90's Maestro had a DVD software player that would load into the Ram of a computer (one did not need access as an Admin for this player to install and run) that would allow "links" on menus to open Explorer and go to URLs, open documents like Word, PDF and such (provided the computer had the software installed to open these documents) even links to folders on the Rom Content of the DVD. This technology existed back then and why it would be discontinued and not supported is all because of money hungry companies that wanted to exploit and eliminate the competition. We have Maestro which I haven't touched in many years because of this ---- so sorry to get on my soapbox, but I would also like to know the answer to your question. The solution could be very simple for a computer programmer to "re-invent" a software player to do this task - maybe someday!

Ricky

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04:40 pm

No Maestro and DVDSP are the same program. Apple bought Spruce and made it their own. They did leave out some nice features, like some helpful pre-mastering capabilities, but they are 95% the same.

Even the outboard player youre referring to was later called DVD@cess by Apple.

The issue seemed to arise from user complaints of incapability. With such large arrays of user OSs version and system set ups there were bound to be issues.

Remember that DVD and the internet are like oil and water - What your client wants is not reliable anymore.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:33:49 pm

I made 2 or 3 DVD's with DVD@cess and it was highly inconsistent
from system to system as Eric mentions.

The workaround I've used since, is to create a menu screen to access "other info etc..."

There you would let whomever is watching know that .pdf .doc or web
addresses are on the disc and navigate to a folder of said content
to get it.

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jul 27, 2012 at 1:23:27 pm

The other issue is, adding .doc, .pdf, etc files to a dvd might cause some players to refuse to play the disc, as it doesn't conform to the dvd specifications to the letter if do so.

I'd say both options can be done, but are unreliable. The fail proof way is to write the eshop url and let the customers type it in their broswer. Maybe you can add a QR code, so they scan it with their smartphone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]