FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing pictures when menu button is highlighted CS 5.1

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Penman
Changing pictures when menu button is highlighted CS 5.1
on May 28, 2012 at 1:49:41 am

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating a DVD and I've hit an obstacle.

I've created a series of buttons linking to various chapters of a DVD on one side of a photo shop file, and on the other I have a number of still images that give a 'demo' of what's in each chapter.

Menu button highlights are all fine, the question is how do I link the buttons so when I've highlighted one, the 'demo picture' changes with it?

I've fiddled around with linking layers together, etc, but I can't quite work it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Changing pictures when menu button is highlighted CS 5.1
on May 28, 2012 at 6:02:32 am

You can't
DVD only support 8 bit button overlays.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 30, 2012 at 7:04:23 pm

You need to cheat... or fool the viewer...
It can all be done with multiple menus and the auto activation feature of Encore..difficult to explain in words, there used to be a video tutorial on it, that I and Adam Kampia recorded way back in the day.. but alas they are no longer out there in cyberspace...

look up the Encore help for "Auto Activated"

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 31, 2012 at 1:35:41 am

Thats super clunky and will trip up many players....not to mention the issues that arise on a computer and a mouse :)

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 31, 2012 at 9:01:12 am

super clunky it may be... but it works and I have never had any problems with it...
The mainstream Movie called "The Descent" used the same technique on their retail DVD ..

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 31, 2012 at 9:15:52 am

I wish I had a dollar for all the professional Hollywood discs that have been poorly authored throughout the years. It does not work if you are intentionally causing player compatibility issues.

Do a search in the DVDSP forum for Layered Menus and the issues it causes. Basically the same auto activated set up...it really should be avoided but whatever. :)

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 31, 2012 at 9:25:32 am

aye, I hear what you are saying.... but we have no choice as we have to work with what tools we have... :-(

Return to posts index

Andrew Penman
on May 31, 2012 at 10:42:56 am

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to re-design the menu so I don't need to use this function.

cheers!

Andrew

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:31:37 pm

Sorry to chime in here late, but having just got back to my computer, I'll take the liberty...

Personally, I've made a bunch of different DVD's using the autoactivate function and I've never had anybody complain that their DVD player wouldn't play it properly. I have a PS3 and that has always played these correctly.
If you play it on a computer, then it doesn't exactly work correctly, but most folks don't use a computer for playing their DVD's so they don't mind.

It is a little more work to make multiple menus, but if you have a good work flow, it goes pretty fast and looks neater. If you just want to burn a quick and dirty menu, then don't use it, obviously.

I took the liberty of putting together a couple of screen captures here (four little movies) http://jmrser.com/Tutorials.html
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:06:23 am

Its well documented over the years in professional DVD production that auto-activated menus often trip up players....Ive seen it many times.. The reason why is because tools like Encore and DVDSP are abstraction layer programs which often contain very "round-about" programming methods. This makes the the player work extra hard while traveling in and out of the disc's different menu domains.

Not a majority but enough to make me avoid such functionality. There's a reason why you rarely see it used.

also 30-40% of consumers watch DVD on their computers some point...another huge reason why it shouldn't be used.

The OP can do what they want but I think its fair they know the pitfalls

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]