FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Encore Need Assistance With Encode Settings

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Verona
New to Encore Need Assistance With Encode Settings
on May 15, 2012 at 1:06:48 am

HI Everyone. I am new to Encore and Premiere as a former FCP and DVD Studio Pro user. Here's my issue. Using FCP I could adjust bit rate on DV footage and encode as much as 2hrs 20 min of video to a standard DVD. I have HD cameras Panny and Canon. If I want widescreen video and shoot at the highest setting on the cameras. Can I encode 2 hours of footage to a standard DVD and what would the Timeline presets and encode settings. I realize that HD can be encoded as HD only to Blue Ray. I am talking about taking 1920X1080 footage and encoding to standard DVD.

"Memories of today, Recorded for tomorrow."

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: New to Encore Need Assistance With Encode Settings
on May 15, 2012 at 2:05:14 pm

Don't let source footage confuse you - regardless of the quality or resolution, the standard is set so that "roughly - without getting technically detailed" the maximum bitrate for 2 hours of footage on a 4.7gb DVD (single-layer, one-side) would be as follows:
PCM audio with 5% headroom = 3.4mbps
AC3 audio with 5% headroom = 4.7mbps

These are rough estimates and audio bitrate of PCM or AC3 can change this (also surround sound may change this) ..... just realize when computing bitrate - it is the destination; that never changes and is determined by size of DVD and length of video, not the sources.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 15, 2012 at 2:25:18 pm

Great advice from Ricky. Though encode settings can be set up in Encore, I like to create the DVD assets right off the Premiere timeline using File > Export > Media, for complete control. In Adobe Media Encoder, choose "MPEG-2 for DVD" as the format, and then choose an appropriate preset such as "NTSC Widescreen High Quality", or maybe you need Progressive?

Then, you can tweak the settings for bitrate and such, VBR or CBR, etc. down below. When going from HD to SD, check the "Maximum Render Quality" button at the bottom, takes a little longer but helps with the downscale quality.

AME will render out TWO files, .m2v video and .wav audio. With you being on the Mac, maybe it uses something else rather than .wav? Ayway, open Encore and create a new DVD project, then Import > As Asset and grab BOTH files and Encore will import to a timeline. Any chapter marks from Premiere will import as well.

By default, Encore will transcode the audio to AC-3 Dolby at 192kHz, the video should remain untranscoded when you build and it only takes a few minutes to create a DVD then since video is already done.

Have fun

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on May 16, 2012 at 7:57:46 pm

I am still a bit fuzzy on the length of the video. In FCP I can adjust the bit rate and encode almost 2hrs and 20 min onto a SD DVD. Of course the quality suffers bit. I tried adjusting the bit rate in Premiere but made no difference in the length of the video on the DVD - file was still too large. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 16, 2012 at 8:17:49 pm

Hi Martin,

Not sure what you mean about adjusting bitrate in Premiere. From Premiere, you go to Adobe Media Encoder and do the bitrate adjustment there as discussed earlier. For a 140-minute video, you would use about 3.8 for the bitrate. Exported audio and video will appear to be too large, but remember that Encore will transcode the uncompressed audio to AC-3 Dolby, greatly decreasing the size.

The formula I use for bitrate is 560/minutes=rate, and round down a little to allow for other overhead (menus and such). 560/140=4.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on May 16, 2012 at 8:58:41 pm

Thanks Jeff. I am trying to get familiar with the Encore Menu that adjusts encode processes. I was using a timeline which contained AVCHD video edited in Premiere then linked into Encore. Does the original file type, i.e. AVCHD vs AVI file matter in the encoding. BTW - FCP would encode the audio to AC-3 as well from its native Aiff audio file.

I will go back and take a look at the menu for the encode rate. Thanks.

Martin

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 16, 2012 at 9:09:03 pm

Source file type does not matter, final file size for DVD is dictated by encode settings used in Media Encoder or Encore transcode settings.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]