FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot duplicate a DVD burned with Encore CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rita Dapkey
Cannot duplicate a DVD burned with Encore CS3
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:31:43 am

Any help would be appreciated...........I do not use Encore CS3 a lot - maybe two or three times a year but usually for fairly good sized project. I built a DVD using Encore CS3. It works fine but I need a lot of copies.

My issue is that I cannot duplicate the disc. I tried using a tower (got the message that my target dvds were not large enough yet they are), tried building an image and using Roxio to make the copies (my DVD player does not read these at all) and tried to build 10 copies in an Encore build yet only the first one of the 10 burned DVDs works (my DVD player does not read numbers 2-10).

I dug around a little and noticed that I had changed my Main Timeline. So,I went back and matched it to the number 1 timeline according to the Menus tab. I saved, rebuilt and got the same problems as above. Also, one other thing I did was to change one of the timelines - I had to make major corrections - I imported the new timeline and deleted the old one out of the project. I then corrected all of my links.

Both the tower and Roxio tell me that my good DVD is 4482 MB. Target DVD is 4.7 GB. When I try to copy the DVD image using Roxio I see the menu and the 6 movies, and the movies will play when I click on them so I know the movies are good. It appears to be something with the menu?

I would redo the entire project but the thought of all that transcoding again makes me shudder. In the past when using Encore CS3 I have had 2 occasions when I had to re-create entire projects and I find this really unreasonable.

Mote - I captured all my HD video from my own camera and edited the movies using PP CS3. Everything looks, sounds and works great on the 1 DVD that works.

Can anyone make a suggestion on why I cannot duplicate the good DVD? Has anyone else had this problem? It is almost as if the menu drops off the face of the earth when I try to make copies.

Thanks,
RMD

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Cannot duplicate a DVD burned with Encore CS3
on Apr 24, 2012 at 9:42:04 pm

[Rita Dapkey] "Both the tower and Roxio tell me that my good DVD is 4482 MB. Target DVD is 4.7 GB."

It's a megabytes rounding issue.

Your disc build is likely fine.

the problem is, it's too big to fit on a dvd without overburning, which is not recommended.

4.7GB for DVD is actually about 4.2GB on a burned disc

I know it doesn't make any sense, but if you were to re-encode some of your
videos so they are slightly smaller file size, to get the "4482 MB" figure down to 4180, it will then
burn just fine. 4200 mb is the limit for burnable dvd.

You might actually be able to solve this by the audio encoding.

If you used uncompressed pcm audio, encode it with Dolby at 192kbps.
That will definitely get it to fit.

If you already encoded Dolby say to 256kbps or 448kbps, then knock it down
to 192.

Return to posts index

Rita Dapkey
on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:59:30 am

Will try that - I will let you know if it works........

Many Thanks for the reply!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35:28 pm

If you can't re-author the disc, or the audio trick doesn't help, a very simple option is to use a free software called "DVD Shrink". It will re-process the DVD contents to exactly fit a standard DVD, and quality seems to hold up well.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Rita Dapkey
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:41:16 pm

I figured out my mistake/s. I think it was a combo of things like improper transcode settings, a problem with an Encore menu and repeated Encore crashes.

With the help of various threads on this site, I redid the project and finally got a workable, good looking end product. I appreciate your help and I love your forums. Real advice for real folks out here having really frustrating problems. This site is so much more helpful than Adobe's Encore forum - especially for those of us who do not do video work every day. Your site has allowed me to create a work flow for this project for next year's show.

Thanks,
RMD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]