FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Replication/Duplication Questions

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Foulkes
DVD Replication/Duplication Questions
on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:59:00 pm

I didn't know where to post this so I figured since I am using Adobe Encore I would post it under the Adobe Encore section. I am at the stage in my production of figuring out how to print my DVDs and I have a couple of questions, I am planning on sending in a master to a replication/duplication company to have 100 copies printed with cases.

Specifications:

- The film will be 30-40 minutes long
- It is shot fully Canon DSLRs
- Footage that is edited is in the format of 1280 x 720 prores 422
- Master wil be made in Adobe Encore
- 100 copies will be made

Questions:

1.) Is there any major difference between duplication and replication of DVD's? the information that I have gathered is that replication is for companies looking to produce thousands and thousands of DVD's where as duplication is for more short run projects that require a couple hundred copies. seeing that I am looking to produce 100 copies I figured this site would be a good way to go http://www.sfvideo.com/ it seems to have a good price and is one of the only sites ive found that lets you place an order under 300 copies.

2.) I have read a bit on printing a master copy of your film and have come to the conclusion that if you are going to replicate mass amounts of DVDs you have to burn to a digital linear tape but if you are doing short run projects you can just burn to a recordable DVD and send it in, is this correct? or do all masters need to be printed to a DLT? or does it just depend on which company you are going through and what they accept? I am going to use Adobe encore to print the DVD.

3.) What type of file should you bring your film into encore in? I am editing with 1280 x720 prores files.

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: DVD Replication/Duplication Questions
on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:59:05 am

DVD Replication uses a process of glass mastering and is typically as you say for mass replication. DVD Duplication burns DVD's and is cheaper. Glass mastering used to be and probably still is more accurate, meaning these DVD's are more likely (more guaranteed) to play more reliably in all players.

I believe it depends on the company as to what they will take - in earlier days it started off as DLT tape was required but many companies now accept burned DVD's to replicate from and most will accept DVD's for duplicating.

To truly pass the inspection stage used at companies it is recommended to burn a folder from Encore and use something like Nero to burn the actual DVD. Encore only burns a Video_TS folder to the DVD and while there is no information in the Audio_TS folder, companies typically want to see that. Also, while I do not understand the difference, a burning software like Nero puts information on the DVD that is more acceptable to companies.

The file you have will go into Encore just fine and we have found with Encore 5.1, that letting Encore use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the file to DVD spec. is faster and more reliable than doing so just within Encore.

Hope this answered your questions or at least gives you some insight for further research or for others more knowledgeable to add more information.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:26:08 pm

Awesome thank you, I just want to clarify a couple things, are you suggesting that I burn a folder from Encore and then use that folder to burn a DVD in Nero or should I just burn the folder onto a disk and send that as my master or do you think I can just get away with burning a DVD-R from Encore if the replication service takes DVD-Rs as masters? Also I am editing my movie in Final Cut Express do you think exporting my movie in Apple TV format would work well with Encore or should I just use Adobe Encoder and convert my HD files to MPEG-DVD format and then put it into Encore?

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:48:33 pm

You can try burning a DVD from Encore - if your particular company does not object or flag any issues, then you are good to go. We just recently had a company reject our disk and after a lengthy conversation, discovered they were happier if i used a burning software like Nero. So you can start with Encore nurned DVD until you have a DVD rejected, then when/if you ever have one rejected, you will know the solution is a burning software.

When using burning software like Nero, you want to use the option in Encore under the Build Tab "DVD Folder" and you can burn that to a folder on the desktop. Encore will place a Video_TS folder (just like it would in making a DVD) in the folder on your desktop. The burning software, specifically for us, Nero, has a "DVD Video" option that opens with an existing Audio_TS folder and Video_TS folder. You simply open the Encore created Video_TS folder and copy/drag all contents to the Video_TS folder that exists inside the burning software (probably for MAC that might be Toast?) -BUT the burning software isn't burning a folder to the DVD as in data disc - it will be burning a Video DVD.

I cannot help much with FCP into Encore - we use Avid and export a QT reference, allowing Encore to see the highest quality video with no transcoding/exporting/compressing - through the QT reference, we tell Encore to transcode the file to DVD spec (mpg2) using Adobe media Encoder - hopefully someone will read this and can help with FCP to Encore. However, I would use this one simple rule - garbage in/garbage out .... saying this: the higher quality file you can start with, the better the DVD transcoded file will be. I believe Pro Res 422 is really good.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:01:34 pm

Thanks, I have exported my film to Mpeg-DVD from 1280 x 720 prores and there are black pillars on the either side of the video, does this go away when burnt to a DVD or should I export in a different format/dimensions? Also either way I burn my DVD whether it be Toast or the combination of Toast and Encore I will end up with a DVD-R that is playable in a DVD player the only difference will be there is going to be an Audio_TS folder for the replicators to see if I use Toast correct?

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:17:57 pm

Not sure about your first question - hopefully daniel ludwig will jump in here.

Yes to your second question.

Ricky

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:52:56 am

Replication is physically pressing a discs while duplication is burning discs. The difference is the amount of reflectivity in the pits and lands.

The discs you will be making are 720x480 16x9 anamorphic. They will need to be encoded with the 16x9 flag set as well.

When you deliver to a replicator, you will need to supply DDP image files. See the manual on how to export these out of Encore.

The AUDIO_TS is basically useless. Its was intended for the DVD-AUDIO format which fizzled out years ago.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33:49 pm

The AUDIO_TS folder is basically useless, was fizzled out, BUT one replicator we use demands it be there - I do not claim it needs to be there and we have had many successful replications and duplications with no complaints about that folder missing, however, a new client for us is using "their" replicator and that is what was required from us to move forward ... I just threw out that information in case he uses a replicator that has similar issues - most companies have advanced beyond that.

Ricky

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:14:47 am

Yeah....I always include it to and if I ran a replication firm it would be policy as well. However, its not needed. There were a couple of players back 12-15 years ago which had issues bu that was it.

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:26:37 pm

The thin bars on either side of your video are a result of a pixel aspect dimension mismatch between the square pixels in your ProRes source file and the 1.21 aspect ratio needed for MPeg2 NTSC widescreen DVDs. They will NOT go away in the process of burning/duplicating/whatever. They are baked into the video signal.

I'm sure there are more elegant and easy ways to get rid of them, but the solution I would use is this:
  • Import your ProRes file into an After Effects project.
  • Create a new composition using the NTSC Widescreen preset. Make sure your new comp has a frame rate that matches your ProRes file.
  • Drop your ProRes file into this new composition.
  • In the Layers menu select the option to make layer dimensions match composition. I think its in Layer/Modify but I'm not looking at AE right now. This will stretch your HD footage with square pixels to fit in a format that has NTSC rectangular pixels.
  • Save the project and close AE.
  • Open either Encore or AME, use the menu to import an asset. Navigate to your saved AE project and select it. A browser will come up listing the compositions in the AE project. Select the NTSC Widescreen comp you just created.
  • The rest is what you would expect: select your render options as needed and render/transcode.

Sounds more complicated than it really is. But this will get rid of the letterboxing.

Cheers,
Paul

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:28:29 pm

Thanks for the procedure Paul, but Is stretching the video the only option in terms of encoding HD video into SD video or is there any other way I can get HD video into the SD format without pillars or stretched video. Is this a problem for Hollywood I mean it seems that most people who are making a full length film are filming in HD regardless but a lot are still printing to DVDs it shocks me that there is no sort of conversion that you can go through to just downsize you HD video so it can fit on the DVD in the right format.

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 25, 2012 at 1:06:52 am

The thing to remember is that you are not really streching the video at all. You are shrinking the HD footage to fit in a non-widescreen frame. So width-wise your square pixels have to be mapped across 720 pixels which when played through a DVD payer, will be stretched to rectangles 1.21w x 1h. Visually the image will still be displayed across the same 16:9 frame as your native HD footage. So it's not streched at that point. It appears normal.

And this is the only-way it is done...from hobyists to Hollywood. It all has to fit in a container 720x480, with a pixel aspect ration of 1.21

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 25, 2012 at 6:11:11 pm

Thank you very much, thats the response I have been waiting for ha ha. I just have two more questions and then I should be set. I am just curious why when I go through the procedure you gave me to convert my HD video to SD video in AE the rendered file is not widescreen. The composition is perfect in AE and Encore but the raw rendered file comes out in a more boxy aspect ration not that I am going to use the raw rendered file for anything I am just curious. Second question is what should I set my photoshop project dimensions to be if I am planning to make my menu in photoshop?

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:44:55 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of NTSC Pixel Aspect Ratios.

NTSC m2v files are really only designed to be displayed via a DVD player. Software inside the player (whether a software player on your computer, or a DVD box at your TV) recognize via a setting in the video file that the image is designed to be played in widescreen format. So it "de-squeezes" it. There is no other way to put play widescreen SD material on a DVD.

This is all a trick that was developed by the broadcast powers that be to fit widescreen material on DVDs and NOT have to re-architect the hardwired FIXED NTSC SD resolution of 720x480. So they developed a technique to elongate the 720 pixels by ~21% which fits the 720 x480 pixels nicely in a 16x9 display.

So Pixel Aspect Ration. Read up on it and all shall be revealed.

For NTSC WS menus, again they should have a dimension of 720x480 and a pixel aspect ratio of 1.21. Mostly Photoshop will take care of this for you if you start by creating a new image using the NTSC Widescreen preset. Photoshop is smart enough to understand Pixel Aspect Ratios quite well. So using that preset it will elongate the image (desqueeze it), so you can edit on it and round things are round not eclipses.

NONE of this carries forward to HD (thank GOD!)

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:03:21 am

O.K. everything in my Encore project is looking great besides the fact that my menu has two black pillars above and below it. I set the photoshop project to be at NTSC DV Widescreen with a pixel ration of 1.21 which is exactly what my film is set to as you explained in AE. I then import the .psd file into Encore as a menu and create the buttons etc. but when I preview the project the film fills up the screen completely/perfectly but the menu doesn't and I said previously it has two black pillars above and below it, is there something Im missing when I set up my photoshop files or is this how the menu works in Encore?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:30:51 am

People don't and won't agree with me, but I do not have problems using PSD menu's when I simply create them in 1280x720 or 1920x1080 - I do all menu's this way even though I have yet to do Blu-ray - we have only done SD widescreen and Encore resizes without issues. I'm sure others may say something negative about this but it works for us. It shouldn't take long to do a quick test to see if it would work for you. :-)

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:35:49 am

Plus, in our case, our video starts as HD so at any time in the future should I decide to do Bluray, my menu is already there. "KISS" works for me most of the time.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:46:38 pm

Huh, I have tried importing .psd files as my menu in both 1280x720 an 1920x1080 format and both look worse than when I import a .psd file in NTSC DV Widescreen format with an aspect ration of 1.21. Is there some sort of menu preset that you are using because when I import my .psd file as 1280 or 1920 format there are black pillars all around it as opposed to when I import a .psd file in NTSC DV Widescreen format 1.21 aspect ration where there are just black pillars on top and bottom, I mean both are not what Im looking for but at least the NTSC DV Widescreen 1.21 aspect ration is a bit closer. Are all menus going to have black pillars no matter what you do or is there some sort of menu preset that you can change according to what format you are bringing your .psd file in as?

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:40:51 am

Are you sure there is black all around? To test, make the menu first play and do a preview - just to make sure your menu view "window" isn't throwing you off. I do nothing special but import my PSD file as menu. Also, maybe I missed this, but make sure 16x9 is selected in the properties window.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Mar 28, 2012 at 6:00:18 pm

I spoke before previewing it, I am so sorry. I imported a 1280x720 .psd file previewed it and of coarse it works flawlessly. All my problems are solved thank you very much.

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Tyler Foulkes
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:14:05 pm

Sorry, but I have one more question, do you recommend exporting from FCP in 1280x720 bringing it into AE and fitting to comp settings of NTSC 720x480 1.21 and then rendering it and then encoding it in Adobe media encoder to the correct pixel aspect ration because when it renders from AE its not in the correct pixel aspect ration. Then bring the encoded file into encore, or do you recommend bringing the file straight from the AE comp into Encore? Both have worked for me, but I was wondering if there is a certain reason to do it one or another or if there is a completely different way of doing this all together.

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Alan Mann
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:26:13 pm

We tried to explain some of the differences here http://www.easyreplication.co.uk/dvd-replication/ if this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]