FORUMS: list search recent posts

DDP + Playback smoothness coming from professional recording

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adriano Moraes
DDP + Playback smoothness coming from professional recording
on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:15:48 pm

Hello there everyone!

I just read a post two threads down about quality and enconding differences in professional DVD factories.

I have a similar problem but not due to quality issues.

I´m used to authoring DVDs for small corporate clients and they never complaing about the transitions between intros and menus. (that little snap on the video)

I´m used to record those DVDs from .ISO files I create in encore on to regular consumer DVD-R midia.

Well I just finished my first mass market DVD and was asked to deliver a DDP image. I also send them a regular DVD for checking.

Here´s the thing: the guy is complaning about the small crack that usualy happens when the DVD changes from the intro video to the motion menu. (by watching the regular preview DVD I sent)

I´m wondering if it is happening because of the quality of the consumer DVD + small office equipament recording I used and if it will not happen once the real professional DVD is recorded from the DDP image.

Can I tell them it won´t happen on the final DVD or I´d be dead wrong?

If so: is that a way (trick) to make this transition less noticeble?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/ninguem/

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DDP + Playback smoothness coming from professional recording
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:14:22 am

Is there audio at that point. what do you mean by "crack"? There will be no difference

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:08:13 pm

Hello Eric. Thanks for takin' the time to answer my question.

Sorry if I didn´t make it quite clear. What I meant by crack was the point where the DVD changes from one clip to the other. Like when you have a motion intro and its end action is the motion menu. It always gives us a little freeze break before continuing. I know there´s not much you can do about it since it´s actualy a fisical thing on the laser reader changing from one clip to the other. What I wanted to know was how much the quality of the media influences on how harsh/perceptable the break is and if the DDP master has some advantages over the ISO I usualy record.

I do have sound but always position the cut right on a silent or changing spot so it goes almost without showing.

Well in the end I simply put my money on the table and said: "Go for it. The DVD is good." Let´s see.

I also found out that the guy was watching the DVD preview I sent him on a blu-ray player that also plays DVDs and was having brutal problems that I really think were happening because of it. (he described me encoding artifacts, problems with clips reloading, a thumbnail on the corner of the screen on every chapter change...and I didn´t have any of that on any of my computers nor on my regular DVD player)

Well thanks again for answering and trying to help.

Cheers!

ninguem

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:26:22 am

Player seek times vary from player to player. I only wish players would be the same across, the board. It would my make peoples lives, who produced DVDs, much easier :)

Going to replication wont fix this issue. Is it this way on all players youve tested?

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:04:45 am

Indeed. If only all players were the same.

Everywhere I tested the transitions were almost imperceptible.

Just a tiny pause. I´ve seen those in market DVDs all around.

The main thing is the client played the DVD on a gimmicky Blu-Ray player. That alone gave him another perspective on the idea. Like playing DVDs on VLC media player if you´ve ever done that.

Thanks for the input on the very fact that replication won´t change a thing. But I trust the fact that what I did couldn´t have been done any better.(at least on a sw like encore---charging encore prices)

I´m still waiting to hear from the guy. Let´s see.

Let´s all hope for a better/more consistent media on our ever changing work world.

Thanks again mate!

Cheers!

ninguem

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:47:26 am

Well there are ways to bypass having the pause between an intro and the menu. I always create the intro and the menu as one piece then adjust the point where i want my 8bit overlay to appear. There's no break in audio and its all nicely contained in one portion on the disc. Unfortunately i dont think Encore allows you to adjust the appearance of your button....could be but i dont use Encore

Return to posts index

Volodymyr Kashuba
on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:09:33 am

Hi Adriano,
Just read this artical, maybe it is whot you tolking about

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2011/01/encore-blu-ray-loop-point-fix/#more...,

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2011/02/

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (overclocked to 4.5GHz),
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler, ASUS P8P67 PRO,
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB,