FORUMS: list search recent posts

Washed colors out and gamma whacked BluRay renders

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Nordin
Washed colors out and gamma whacked BluRay renders
on Mar 11, 2012 at 9:14:47 am

I'm struggling with a BluRay render for two different project, trying to hit Monday's Cannes deadline.

I've rendered out masters from Davinci Resolve in DPX-10bit format. Conformed the masters in Premiere 5.5, and sending the final sequence to Encore. Everything is on a MacPro OSX 10.7.3

The results are elevated blacks, loss of contrast (gamma), and desaturated. Its what I have come used to seeing with the Quicktime gamma glitch.

I'm rendering in Mainconcept h.246 via Encore both with and without using AME...same result.

The strangest part, is on Thursday the renders were great. Now on Saturday, they are crap.

I'm quickly running out of time on the long form render, so any help or suggestions on where to start would be MOST welcome!

Thanks,
Paul

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Washed colors out and gamma whacked BluRay renders
on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:45:05 pm

hey paul,
one issue might be, that blu-ray only have 8bit@4:2:0 - and I guess the 10bit>8bit-crossconversion within AME is not very good.

another issue might be 10.7.3. as it is working with AV-foundation.

have you tried to export your DPX-sequenz from within premiere to a apple pro res quicktime-movie?!

you should try an older system like 10.6.8.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:32:37 pm

The only other system I have to use is a older MacBook Pro running snow leopard, which would take 3 days to render this feature. ..too long. I'll try a test. The thing that is most troublesome is three days ago my renders looked as they should: BluRay matching the DPX masters nicely.

Now, three days later, they have elevated blacks and are desaturated. And I have not installed any new software or drivers.

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:30:23 pm

OK, after a LOT of testing I've found one workflow that is maintaining the gamma/sat.

• Davinci Resolve - render DPX sequences
  • to Premiere Pro & embedded AE for finalizing (assebling reels, titles etc) - render DPX
  • Render from PPro a final DPX Master
  • DPX Master into Apple Compressor h.246-BluRay setting for BR render
  • h264 Render into Encore DVD for authoring and burning

Steps 3 & 4 are only there to deal with the gamma slipping. I also think this may be highlighting a problem between OSX10.7.3 and the Mainconcept MPEG compressor as this workflow is the only one I have tried that bypasses it. (All adobe apps use it, and so does Squeeze)

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:54:11 am

Paul,
happy to hear you solved your problem by using a different workflow.

gamma-problems with mainconcept encoders are a bad, bad, bad problem with it (especially under MAC OS). I have been in meetings with them several times (especially with their own Mainconcept Reference Encoder).

I hope these guys will fix it soon. I will have another meeting with them soonish, but I´m bussy doing other stuff at the moment, and their developement is very, very, veeeeery slow. :(

sorry to say that - but indeed - apples compressor is the only way to assure that colors will match under mac so at the moment.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 25, 2012 at 1:08:51 am

Well, what I ended up doing was pulling my master render into AE and changing the color space to Rec709. My renders from that comp match my grade in Resolve exactly.

Looking back, I may add a output LUT to my Davinci Resolve renders to do that transformation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]