FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow to create Blu-ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Slow to create Blu-ray
on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:11:04 pm

I am new to using Encore and have been a DVD Studio Pro user for several years.

I am trying to make a 90 minute Blu-ray out of a project edited in Final Cut Pro (ProRes LT, 1920x1080 30p). I exported the timeline into Compressor and used the preset for MPEG-2 Blu-ray, which made an m2v file and a separate ac3 file. It took about 8 hours to encode.

I put the file in the Encore project, made all my chapter points, and proceeded to build the DVD. However, it says it is transcoding my footage and is on pace to take about 2 hours to complete building. The footage in the Project window said "Don't Transcode"...so why is it transcoding for 2 hours??? Should I have just taken the ProRes LT QuickTime file and let Encore do the encoding? I don't want it to re-encode already encoded footage.

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Slow to create Blu-ray
on Feb 25, 2012 at 6:07:28 am

casey,
in your first chapter you are talking about blu-ray and in the 2nd you are talking about DVD.

if you are going to create an SD-DVD from your HD-MPEG2 the entire assets will be transcoded again of course.

what encore is doing with your video needs to be set in the transcoding-setting of your project - that´s what you are doing at the very beginning, when you are creating a new project.

3 other points:

- I would never use pro res LT to create an blu-ray out of it and I would never use encore to create SD DVDs

- if I have DVD Studio, as encore has far to much limitations and bugs.

- if you would like to create a blu-ray I would use H264 instead of MPEG2HD, it´s got better picture-quality at lower bitrates.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
Re: Slow to create Blu-ray
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40:48 pm

Thanks Daniel,

That was a typo about DVD...it should have said Blu-ray :)

I am one of the many people who jumped ship after Apple came out with FCP X...so I am trying to learn the ins and outs of the Adobe Premiere Suite.

I see under the properties (which I didn't see before), where it says Blu-ray Transcode Status, it was set to Automatic. I ran a short test where I encoded using H264 instead of MPEG2, and the status said Don't Transcode. My 2 minute HD video clip took 4 minutes to transcode and build when using MPEG2, and took less than 30 seconds to build when using H264, so that obviously was the issue.

In this particular situation, I was building a DVD and Blu-ray of the same video project, I encoded a separate MPEG2 for the DVD and the Blu-ray.

I ended up making the DVD first and the Blu-ray second, and found that I pretty much had to start over from scratch when building the Blu-ray, creating new chapter points as well as recreating a few chapter menus (this was a concert DVD, if that helps).

It had been mentioned on another post I made quite a while ago, about building the Blu-ray first and then transcoding that directly to DVD. I was wondering how well that works, and if that is a good way to accomplish a DVD and Blu-ray project efficiently, and with good quality as well.

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]