adding video assets, but which format doesnt need transcoding by adobe

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
adding video assets, but which format doesnt need transcoding by adobe
on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:29:31 am

Hi all.
Im thinking about getting encore.

1) Can anyone tell me which video formats encore accepts "natively" that therfore wouldnt need transcoding into a new format to burn dvd/blu ray.

2) Currently Im using AVID dvd. This accepts a quicktime REFerence file from Avid. Does Encore accept this file type?

3) What data rates are regarded as optimum for Blu ray and DVD. Clerly Ill want to maintain max picture quality whilst getting everything on the disc. I dont have a project so cant tell you how long it is etc, but is there an optimum target??

Cheers

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: adding video assets, but which format doesnt need transcoding by adobe
on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:20:59 am

Hi peter,
encore accept all DVD-spec MPEG2-files, dolby AC-3-files and WAV audio-files. for BD you need to create an BD-spec-complient HD-MPEG2 or an AVC-file (better known as H264).

encore accept the following picture-resolutions:

1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080i50, 1080i60, 720p50, 720p60, PAL SD and NTSC SD

there are several parts of the H264-spec, so you must be sure that it is a BD-complient H264. for example quicktime H264 wont be accepted and will be transcoded.

Encore itself could transcode all kind of input-files to the selected media-type, as it has an entire trancoding-engine, so if you would import MOV or AVI that would be possible, but a real author would do the transcoding-work prior authoring. therefor you can use AME (adobe media encoder).

according to bitrates:

DVD-spec allow 10.08Mbit/s as max bitrate, and BD-spec allow 40Mbit/s. while high bitrates have no problems on BD-R-media they are a problem on DVD-/+R-media. you should not use more that 8.0-8.5Mbit. in other case that could cause problems with burned DVDs while playing.

if you are authoring BD I would advice to use H264 instead of MPEG2HD for HD-content, as H264 could have lower bitrates while picture-quality is the same as MPEG2HD.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: adding video assets, but which format doesnt need transcoding by adobe
on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:27:11 am

Thanks Danny.
Loads to chew on there!
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>