FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality loss when playing DVD using a DVD player

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric cantor
Quality loss when playing DVD using a DVD player
on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:32:47 am

Hi,

I authored a DVD in Encore and i noticed that when i play it on my pc it looks fine but when played using a DVD player on a television screen there is a significant quality loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Quality loss when playing DVD using a DVD player
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:49:51 pm

Hi Eric,

There are many variables - is it a CRT TV or HD flat panel? How is DVD player connected? A DVD that looks good on an older CRT may look terrible on an HD display since the display may have to blow up the image to fit the screen resolution, and the quality of the upconversion depends on the circuits in the display.

If using an HD TV, use a newer DVD player with Upconversion and HDMI output and this will provide the best quality (Blu-ray player or Sony PS3 will work as well). Use the best analog connection you can if that is all you have - component or S-video will be better than composite.

Bottom line is the home-made DVDs will always look better on a CRT, because they are natively SD and the image is not being upscaled.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

eric cantor
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:45:08 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer.

I actually tried it on a HD flat screen and a projector, in both cases the image became pixelated and glittery. I tried playing 3 other professional videos and they were all fine. Something must be wrong in the way i am authoring my video.

Regards,

Eric

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:59:04 pm

Hi Eric,

So please share your workflow. What is the source format? Converting from HD needs special attention. What are the encode settings?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

eric cantor
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:54:19 am

Hi Jeff,

The encore file is set to 720x576 at 25fps. I created a .psd menu page to match these dimension and besides the movies, both the menu page i created and the menu templates that are already there in the library when you buy the software, look glittery when played with a projector.
i even created a NTSC version but got the same result. On my computer although the quality is not the best it is still much better than the projector.

Regards,

Eric

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:37:57 pm

What was the resolution and codec of your source files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]