COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan Ilchev
Convert progressive footage to interlaced for DVD Authoring
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:48:42 am

Hello Creative Cows,

I needs some advice.

Here is the workflow.
1. Footage shot on Canon Vixia (cheap cam I know)
- .mp4
- 30fps
- 60i (I would assume - manual didn't specify)

2. Footage transcoded to Apple ProRes HQ for editing in FCP
- 30fps
- progressive
- sequence settings (1280x720, Square Pixels, HDTV 720p, Field Dominance - none, Editing Timebase - 30, Compressor - Apple ProRes HQ

My question is: what's the best way to go from here and end up on DVD without any interlace problems.
- I exported as a Self-Contained movie and encoded for DVD in Adobe Media Encoder but there were interlace problems. I tried the same with Compressor and same results. I would assume that in order to interlace it properly it would to become 60i again, correct?? so it ends up on 29.97fps NTSC SD DVD.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Stan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Convert progressive footage to interlaced for DVD Authoring
on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:59:11 pm

Hi Stan,

Not sure how you would have interlace problems on a DVD if the footage was already deinterlaced, as it must be if it is currently 720p. Just author the DVD as Progressive then, does not have to be interlaced.

In Adobe Media Encoder, try checking the "Max Render Quality" box, this can help with the downscale quality.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Stan Ilchev
on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:29:53 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks or the quick reply.

I thought it order to put it on a DVD it has to be interlaced since most television sets play interlaced footage.I know these days DVD players have chips that interlace of the fly, but what about older ones. Ideally, I would like to achieve maximum compatibility and quality.

Thanks much.

Stan

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:41:33 pm

It was interlaced to begin with. There was no reason to make it progressive. The error was in that step. Go back and redo that first

Return to posts index

Stan Ilchev
on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:00:50 pm

The reason why I made it progressive because I had to composite graphics on top. Any suggestions on how to take it from here without going back steps??

Thanks

Stan

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:49:08 am

If at all possible, you should Always stay with what you started with till the end. If you shoot i, edit i, export to mpeg2 for DVD or Bluray i. Grfx work fine w/ interlaced footage, what do thing the rest of the planet does???

If you shoot P, edit P, export to mpeg2 for DVD or Bluray P, as DVD players and TV's can display Progressive material just fine.

If you have interlaced, you would Deinterlace (the finished edit) when compressing for web or computer screen playback.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:41:03 pm

I agree... if you had edited everything in 1080i like the original footage it would be pristine.... when you go to a progressive format for computer playback..try to use adaptive deinterlacing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]