FORUMS: list search recent posts

best practice for transcoding media for DVD or Blu ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
best practice for transcoding media for DVD or Blu ray
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:54:52 pm

Coming from a FCP world, the best pratice was to export a video natively from the FCP project, then go into compressor and transcode to a M2v and Audio file. Then bring those files into DVDstudio build the dvd and then burn.

I am just starting to learn encore and its workflow. So my question is what is the best practice? Would it be to transcode our native video file with Media encoder or let Encore do the transcoding?

is one faster then the other is one better compressior etc.
Thank you for your help.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: best practice for transcoding media for DVD or Blu ray
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:29:14 pm

Hi Mike,

Adobe Media Encoder and Encore should produce identical quality as both would use the same encoding engine under the hood, so comes down to personal preference I believe.

I like to use AME to encode for DVD right out of Premiere, since once I finish an edit I'm usually ready for a break and that's a good time to render! On the PC, exporting to MPEG-2 for DVD results in an .m2v and a .wav file, but Mac might use a different audio codec.

I then create a new project in Encore and Import Assets as Timeline, then move on to menu creation. I like this workflow because once I am ready to proof and burn/test the results, there is very little wait since the video is already encoded! I would hate to get the DVD menus all done then have to wait a long time for transcoding before I could have a DVD in my hand. Just my thing.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35:54 pm

The preset DVD outputs in Compressor produce an m2v and an ac3 for use in DVDStudioPro, and the same will work in Encore.

My personal preference is to export the timeline directly from FCP to Compressor, as the edit points are interpreted as compression markers, which helps with both quality and speed.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 10, 2011 at 7:36:34 am

It´s no good idea to send from FCP directly to compressor - as you are blocking 2 applications with it.

a better way is to export from FCP as selfcontained movie to your harddisc and use this file with compressor.

you can also set compression-marker/chapter-marker, and will be a lot faster.

finally you can go on editing within FCP while compressor is doing it´s job.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]