FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Menu Size

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Culkp
DVD Menu Size
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:11:18 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Creative Cow's forums and also new to Encore. So, I'm working on making a DVD for a film. I've made all the menus and have imported them into Encore. The only problem is that my original dimensions make the menus come out incredibly poor looking. I originally went with 720x480 as the dimensions. It looked great on my 13inch MacBook Pro but after testing it once on a large screen, I went back and changed the size to be the same as the film, 1920x1080. Now the menus are letter boxed just like the film. So, my question is, what dimensions on the menus would be full screen and retain a good quality when viewed on a larger screen?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: DVD Menu Size
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:28:53 pm

Is your DVD SD, if so, 4x3 or 16x9?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Austin Culkp
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:37:52 pm

The settings are SD, 4:3. I think I realize what I need to do. It seems like I need to make the Menus in a 4:3 dimension since the film is already in a 16:9 format.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:45:41 pm

I think you just lost me mentally, but I will tell you my workflow. If my video's are HD 1920x1080, then that is my menu size in Photoshop. If they are HD 720 or SD 16x9 then I make menu sized 1280x720. If my video's are SD 4x3 then i make 720x540 Photoshop menus. SO, if your videos are "film" 16x9 and they are not letterboxed on the DVD then a menu of 1280x720 will work great - if they are going to the DVD as letterboxed which is 4x3 then menus should be 720x540, IMO.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Austin Culkp
on Dec 7, 2011 at 7:46:38 pm

Oh I see. My main video is HD 1920x1080 so my menus should be the same size. Will that result in a letterboxed menu? When in the preview mode, my menu has been in letterbox.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:12:15 pm

Your HD videos should be widescreen, 16x9. As for menu's, I believe there is a box to check or a setting to tell the menu it is 16x9 as well. Sry, can't remember where that is. THIS is all me assuming you are going to transcode your HD videos as widescreen for SD - you must tell the transcode (edit quality presets) to transcode WS to get 16x9 - the "auto" transcode presets may do that - again, not sure. I do believe that the way the video is displayed in the monitor is how it will look with current transcode settings (either letterbox or widescreen).

Ricky

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:37:56 am

hey guys,
first of all please let me tell you that SD DVD NTSC is 720x480, and by the way it make no difference if it would be 4:3 or 16:9, this is just a flag/bit that will be implemented into the MPEG-stream how the aspec-ratio of each pixel must be displayed.

depending on the CS-version that you´re using you need to set menus in different pixel-aspecs, as adobe decided to do some significant changes from CS4 to CS5.

as I haven´t got the NTSC-parameter in mind at the moment (as I´m in PAL-land) I will describe it with PAL. PAL is original 1024x576 for 16:9 in square pixels, if you are working with anamorph pal-pixels this is 720x576 (which is in fact used), but adobe decided to change it to 1050x576.

NTSC is 720x486px, that will be cropped for SD-MPEG2 to 720x480px, but what ever you do, NTSC-DVD could only handle 720x480.

I would advice to transcode assets prior authoring within any DVD/BD-authoring-application. if you are using 16:9-material you should flag it 16:9, so everything should be fine.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:23:17 pm

Hi Austin,

Good advice from Danny. I don't transcode in Encore, I follow Danny's advice and do that before I get to that stage. In other words, assuming editing in Premiere, use Adobe Media Encoder and export the HD sequence as MPEG-2 for DVD, resulting in a widescreen SD export of .m2v for video and .wav for audio. Check the "Maximum Render Quality" setting when going to from HD to SD for best quality downscaling.

In Encore, use File > Import as import the assets as a Timeline. For menu creation in Photoshop, use 720x480 as suggested, but be sure to set the Pixel Aspect in Photoshop to 1.2 so the results are not distorted on your widescreen DVD.

Do not, I repeat do NOT create a 4:3 "letterboxed" DVD from your HD source! Create a 16:9 DVD to match the source footage. If the viewer happens to have a 4:3 display, their DVD player should add the 4:3 letterboxing to the video output automatically. If you create a 4:3 disc with letterboxing as part of the image, when viewed on a 16:9 display, the entire video will then be surrounded by black, not pretty at all.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:43:08 pm

I have a point of contention and a point of exception.
I do not understand why you would create a menu in 4x3 aspect ratio when your video is not 4x3. 720x480 in photoshop will be distorted in Encore CS4 if you select 16x9 in properties to match your WS video's - to display just as WS video, then menu must be WS in Photoshop, yes, you may want to stay 4x3 safe but the template must be 16x9. I only contend with this because it "works for me" ONLY when I follow this procedure.
I would agree with transcoding to DVD spec before Encore but would ask the same as someone just posted in another thread - is Encore transcoding inferior to other programs ... that said, my workflow sometimes is dictated by time - this means from the Avid I can export a QT Ref. file(s) and start authoring immediately and determine the bitrate inside Encore based on amount of video and ROM content added - thus I skip the step of calculating the bitrate beforehand (sometimes a time constraint) and can optimize the trancoding quality 'last minute'.
I am not being argumentative - I am responding for discussion and dialogue to learn and improve my workflow! Thanks1

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:52:10 pm

Oh yeah, more thought - we are doing all video in HD but at the moment are only authoring to SD DVD - IF in the future I want to go to Blu-ray, then since my video's are already HD, wouldn't I want my menu's as HD (aspect ratio) 1920x1080 or 1280x720 so everything is simply ready as-is? BUT, I still ask why you would not at least do SD WS 16x9 menu's for WS video's and flag video's as well as menu's as WS, thus the menu should at least be 864x480?

Thansk!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:41:47 pm

[Ricky Barrow] "why you would not at least do SD WS 16x9 menu's for WS video's and flag video's as well as menu's as WS, thus the menu should at least be 864x480?"

You're pretty much on the right track there. From the DVDStudioPro manual, the advice, at least for that application, is to make SD NTSC menus 853x480. Flag it for widescreen 16x9, and all should be well.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:49:13 pm

The original question was how to make a dvd from HD video, with proper fullscreen menu, without black borders.

I'll decribe my very simple workflow in pal.
I first resize HD video uniformly to 1024x576, and then horizontaly to 720X576, for 16:9 anamorhic format.

For menu creation, there are two ways.
I create 720x576 Photoshop document with pixel aspect ratio D1/DV Pal widescreen. However working with wide pixels does not look nice in Photoshop.

A better way is to create menu in Photoshop with 1024x576 square pixels and then squeeze it horizontaly to 720x576. The final quality is better and I can work in Photoshop with undistorded material. Pixel aspect ratio of the exported 720x576 psd should be set to D1/DV pal widescreen, for Encore to interpret it correctly.

Return to posts index

Austin Culkp
on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:04:49 am

Thank you all for the help, I've burned a copy and it looks good! I have another question but I'll start a new thread to not confuse things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]