FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best setting in Media Encoder for DVD video

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kyle
Best setting in Media Encoder for DVD video
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:45:42 am

Hi there,

Can anyone shed any light on the best setting in media encoder to encode an MPEG2 for DVD. I have been using a max bit rate of 6.5, and average of 6.2 and a min of 4.5. This plays fine on a few DVD players but keeps 'freezing' on a couple of other DVD players. I am unsure as to what the advanced settings do so I have left these at their default levels.
Would it be better to use MPEG2-DVD presets.

I know this post is a little vague but any help on this matter would be massively appreciated

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Best setting in Media Encoder for DVD video
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:21:13 pm

Hi Tim,
your encoder-settings donĀ“t make sence. if you are using 6.5 max bitrate and 6.2 target-bitrate there is only a very small space for the VBR. do you have multiple audi-tracks on your DVD?

if you are encoding for DVD-R/+R i would advice to use 8.2Mbit/s as max. bitrate and depending on your duration - it might be a lower bitrate for the target-bitrate - you need to create a bitbudget to know exactly.

be sure to use high-quality media like verbatim or tayo juden.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Tim Kyle
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:24:59 am

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your quick reply!
I have now managed to get the dvd working on all dvd players.
I used th default mpeg dvd default values 5 and 7 for bit rates, used -r instead of +r and burnt on a low speed - this seemed to resolve the issue.
You suggest 8.2 for max- would this still be comptibl;e on older set top players? it seems wuite high...
Thanks again for your quick response!

T

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:23:29 pm

Hi Tim,

For higher bitrates, I would simply use CBR rather than VBR.

It's a good idea to START with a preset, for instance "NTSC High Quality", and then modify to suit your needs. Set "Quality" to "5", and choose CBR and a suitable data rate.

I use the formula 560/minutes=data rate, but do round down a bit, for instance 560/120=4.66, so I encode at 4.5

For short videos, don't exceed 7 or 8 datarate regardless of formula.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tim Kyle
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:39:49 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

Can you explain why CBR would be better to use than VBR? is it core compliant with older players?

Thanks for your formula - that will come in very handy!

With VBR I guess there will be short bursts of higher bitrates which is where the players can freeze at times?

Thanks again for your reply!

T

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:32:12 pm

Hi Tim,

Maybe I'm being "old school", but I believe the data rate "spikes" were an issue at one time, probably no longer the case with newer players, but old habits die hard.

The point is though, there is a maximum data rate you shouldn't exceed when encoding, roughly 8 for the video (audio is added to that).

So, if encoding a 20 minute piece for instance, you can encode the WHOLE THING at the "best" quality - what would be the benefit of VBR, which would encode some portions at a lower rate (lower quality)? I go for consistent quality.

The way VBR works is to ALLOCATE the bitrates to match the content of each scene as needed, higher or lower, in the end maintaining the AVERAGE bitrate you had specified. If you have a static title screen, white on black, you can get by with a very low rate, "saving" the extra bits then to jack up the quality on more complex scenes that need it. This of course is beneficial on long programs that have a low AVERAGE bitrate - you can still get a high bitrate on complex scenes that need it.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:53:01 am

Hey Tim

This helped me also. Just wondering if you could explain the gop settings?

Lach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]