Good afternoon amazing people of the Cow community.
To keep the story short, the following:
I'm working in a post-production facility in Amsterdam-The Netherlands. And we came across a problem that was, at first that not a big issue but after a couple of big documentaries it became one.
We have a 1,5 docu with a Dutch and English subtitled version. First we made a dvd5 with subtitles generated by DVDstudioPro but it got rejected by the client because the subtitles were pixelated. Then we made a DVD9 including 2 quicktimes with renderd subs on them (made TIFF in bellenuit -> fcp, best workaround for us so far)
The thing that disturbs us the most is the jackieness/pixel edge of the diagonals and the spacing between the letters.
What we tried for solutions:
Import text script and it looks worse then the one from DVDstudioPro
Import images to Encore using FAB script - only the images have a black background as does the outline. Also when I make an block behind it in green and let it key it's still pretty nasty.
The optimal solution we are looking for is importing the tiff files in Encore using the Alpha channel, like in FCP/Premiere/any other program.
Or at least make subtitles that look oke.
So my question is how you guys&girls do this and what is your experience whit subtitles in general. Any comment welcome.