FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD and Blu-ray encoding specs for import into Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Argentine
DVD and Blu-ray encoding specs for import into Encore?
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:18:30 pm

Hi, just bought encore (used DVD Studio until now) and trying to figure it out with my first blu-ray. I'm creating a blu-ray based on an old DVD, and one of the videos is an SD MPEG2 that I had used in DVD Studio Pro. I imported into Encore and it wants to transcode the audio and video. MPEG Streamclip says its a 224 MPEG-2, 720x480, 16x9, 29.97, 4.36 Mbps, upper field first. Audio is an aiff, 160 PCM stereo, 48 kHz. Any ideas why it wants to transcode? I may be able to track down the original source (digibeta I think) and re-encode in squeeze.

For several other videos I'll be going back to my original HD source and encoding for blu-ray with Squeeze, in one of the forums they claim that it plays nice with encore.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: DVD and Blu-ray encoding specs for import into Encore?
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:23:24 am

hi per,
MPEG2 SD for DVD and MPEG2 SD for Blu-ray are slidely different. I´ve heard you can tweek the DVD-files using the freeware-tool ReStream (PC) to set the SD-DVD-file to be complient with blu-ray. will ask my collegue again about it.

in general: encore does only accept PCM audio OR AC3, depending on your transcoding-settings you choose in your project-settings.

if you are happy with DVD SP for DVD you should go on using it for DVD as Encore has sadly limitations and a lot bugs. one of the biggest limitations is the missing scripting-capability.

if you need to create easy BDs it´s fine as well, if you need to create a bit more advanced features for it, you should think about getting Blustreak Tracer from Rivergate Software as well, as you can extent the capabilities as you can edit the movieobject-commands post-muxed.

if you would like to create advanced/full featured blu-rays you should think about a different (PC-) software.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Per Argentine
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:11:07 pm

Thanks, I'll give Restream a try with those SD videos. I'm using Encore just to create simple blu-rays, nothing fancy. I just imported my HD blu-ray H264 from Squeeze (using Squeeze's blu-ray preset) and Encore wants to transcode it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:27:23 pm

hi per,
squeeze is no good choice.

I would suggest to try episode, TMPENC, adobe media encoder (AME), Mainconcept Reference, or something else. if you are on mac you can choose AME, Compressor or Mainconcept Reference.

I would advice NOT to use Matrox Hardware/Software as it would not create valid streams.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Per Argentine
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:48:51 pm

Just tried Mainconcept reference and encore didn't like that one either.

However, encore was OK with squeeze's blu-ray mpeg2

I guess I'll just have to install AME on that machine for blu-ray compressions.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 23, 2011 at 8:39:15 am

hi,
if you are using anything else than mainconcept preset you need to re-adjust the VBV-buffer under advanced features.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Per Argentine
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:02:18 pm

Squeeze's only choice is mainconcept H264. I did read on another forum that there is a bug in encore where it doesn't like 2-pass vbr and/or high profile. However, I just tried using the preset with 1-pass vbr main profile, 1-pass vbr high profile, 2-pass vbr main profile, and still no luck. Here are the preset settings if that helps to shed light on anything:

Mainconcept H.264
2pass vbr
1080i 29.97
25,000 Kbps
constrain at 30,000 Kbps

level 4.1
high AVC profile
interlaced
top field first
CABAC encoding entropy mode

key frames every 300 frames
auto key frame on scene change (50)