FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black levels washed out

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Black levels washed out
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:27:30 am

I haven't seen this since my old tape days. I shot my project in HD on Sony XDCAM and exported it from FCP in 1080x1920 Prores. I color corrected my video using scopes, and I used 0 to 100 on the scope. I let Encore transcode the clips. When I view the DVD on my Blu Ray or DVD player on my HD TV's at home, all the blacks look washed out. Since DVD's are standard def, are my Blu Ray and DVD players adding 7.5 IRE setup? That is what it looks like. Does anyone know how I should color correct my clips to see a true black on my HD TV's? Everything looked fine in the edit bay on my HD monitor. I no longer have an NTSC set at home to check it in that. We plan on replicating about 5,000 copies of this project, so I'm under the gun to figure it out. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Black levels washed out
on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:44:03 pm

Have you properly calibrated your HDTVs? Either via a calibration disc like the one from Spears and Munsil or by a certified ISF technician? Very rarely (like almost never) are consumer sets properly set up from the factory.

Since you have no control over how anyone who views your DVD has their TV set up, the best you can do when creating the content is what you did.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:22:11 pm

I was seeing the same thing. Check the HDMI settings in the TV menu.
I forget what it was called but that was what the issue was for me.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:27:42 pm

I don't know what the problem was. Other DVD's play fine in my Blu Ray player. Only the DVD made in Encore played with elevated black levels. I started over using Apple Compressor and DVD Studio Pro, and everything looks fine. I wonder if something in the automatic compression in Encore is not set properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]