Matrox .264 assets in Encore CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Volodymyr Kashuba
Matrox .264 assets in Encore CS5
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:06:24 pm

Hi,

Question #1.
110 min of HD video 1920x1080 Matrox .264 file exported from Premiere timeline using Matrox MXO2 Mini with MAX. Using bit rate calculator http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php for Blu-ray disc it came out 28500kb/s. Final size of Matrox .264 video - 21.6GB, AC3 audio - 150MB. After I imported to Encore those assets, under BUILD tab Disc Info tells me 26.67GB. HOW COME???
Question #2.
Size of BD disc selected BD-R 25 GB. If I do Check Project - NO ERROR. After I build the BD .ISO image - massege build failed, not enough spase.
WHY it did not tell me when I did CHECK PROJECT???

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (overclocked to 4.5GHz),
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler, ASUS P8P67 PRO,
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB,
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 2GB ,
Matrox MXO2 with MAX,
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case,
Adobe CS 5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Matrox .264 assets in Encore CS5
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:59:03 pm

You also need to take stream header data into account, which can add roughly 10% to the size of your encoded h264 or mpeg2 file. Encore does not re-encode anything, but adds lots of header data to the stream. You will see this after you build the project, then navigate into the STREAMS folder of the disc and locate your asset for the video. The size of the video stream after building is much larger than the original encoded asset before the build process. This is caused by the addition of header data.

You also need to take the Gibibyte to Gigabyte conversion into account. Windows displays files in Gibibytes (although it calls them GB, aka Gigabytes), and Encore displays how much space they take up in actual Gigabytes. Not sure what Gibibytes and Gigabytes are? Just look them up on wikipedia.

Bottom line, you need to trust what Encore says as to how much space it takes up on the disc. Don't think because your files are nearly 22 GiB that they will fit on a 23.3 GiB disc once header data is added. By the way, 25 GB = 23.3 GiB

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:49:14 pm

We┬┤ve also figured out that matrox-encoded H264-files do not match H264-blu-ray-specification.

one of my europeen collegues had a really bad sony stream-verifier-report on files that has been encoded that way. these streams all failed the verification.

so please do not use matrox-encoded H264-files on BDs that will go to replication.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:51:24 pm

Danny,

I know that was a problem with some of the original release drivers from matrox, but I heard that problem was resolved. How recently did you hear about this problem with Matrox h264 files, and were they using the latest matrox drivers?

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:04:17 pm

Jon,
my collegue told me, that they used the latest driver with it - working with windows.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:10:22 pm

Danny,

Thanks for the info on the non-compliance issues with Matrox encoded files... good to know.

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

Volodymyr Kashuba
on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:06:22 am

Thank you Jon and Daniel with your suggestion on my discussion about Matrox .264 assets for Encore

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (overclocked to 4.5GHz),
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler, ASUS P8P67 PRO,
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB,
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 2GB ,
Matrox MXO2 with MAX,
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case,
Adobe CS 5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:20:28 pm

Hi Volodymyr,

Have you tried bypassing MAX and simply using the Adobe H.264 for Blu-ray encoding preset? With CS5 using the CUDA acceleration now, it shouldn't take a whole lot longer to just render the files that way and be safe. I think MAX is great for laptops and slower computers, but for a hot workstation, MAX doesn't offer the speed advantage it did a year or two ago.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]