FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much footage to DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe seamans
How much footage to DVD?
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:11:00 pm

I have two hours of DV25 video. Can I put all this material onto a standard definition DVD? I assume yes, but will the compression needed to get this material to fit onto the DVD compromise the video quality? How much will it affect video quality?

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: How much footage to DVD?
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:25:13 am

I wouldn't recommend putting 2 hours of video on a DVD. Break it up to two DVDs and you'll be much happier with the encode.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:22:03 pm

Naaaahh.....2 hours is perfectly doable with media encoder. Go to dual layer if need be

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 2, 2011 at 2:58:31 pm

Quality is very subjective, as you have seen from the varied replies. I have to side with Eric and say two hours is fine. Been doing it for 10 years and ZERO complaints about quality. In fact, I've done many productions that were 2.5 hours or more on a single 4.7GB disc! Have never moved to DL because of cost/compatibility concerns, and making a two-disc set doubles labor and costs for me.

I won't argue that quality degrades as the program gets longer - that's a given - but the public is now very used to watching cr*p on YouTube all day and I don't think the average person notices the compression artifacts that us picky video editors look for! Not saying my discs look "bad", because I do have standards, but good enough for the clients (wedding, event, corporate) apparently.

I recently videotaped my kid's school play at over 2.5 hours, and without my knowing, another parent had taped it another night and was making copies for people. Come to find out he authored to THREE DVDS!!! Really? I can see two, but seriously...and whose production quality was higher? Yes, the single DVD.

To find the data rate for longer encodes, I use 560/minutes=rate, and just round down a bit for safety/menu space. For instance, 120 minutes = 4.66, encode at 4.5 and you're good to go. This will start another debate, but I seldom use VBR, and stick with CBR in most cases.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

joe seamans
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:20:47 pm

Thanks, Jeff, this is good advice which I can test easily enough. One question, though, is the equation you supplied. According your example you encode at 4.5. Is this times 100 or something? I've been encoding at 1000 up to 5000 using Sorenson Squeeze. 4.5 seems low, but 450 would make sense. Am I right?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:55:35 pm

Hi Joe,

Different apps use different notation. Adobe would be 4.5, while Sorenson will show 4500, same thing. Sorry for any confusion. Don't encode at 450 ;-)

Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:31:42 pm

With long programs like yours I strive to maximize the files size and quality to fit the disc. In other words if I try a bitrate and it finishes and the file size is 3.5GBs, I'll up the bit rate some and try encode, as to not waste any space.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:41:40 pm

Hi Chris,

The trial and error method would take a LOT of time. The 560/minutes=bitrate thing works pretty well, or there are bitrate calculators available online. Nothing worse than coming up 2MB too large to fit, then having to start over! Been there.

Regardless of which method you use to calculate or "guesstimate" the bitrate, there are variables that can throw things off, like using motion menus that take additional space on the disc, so you must account for that as well.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]