FORUMS: list search recent posts

DDP layers suspicously the same size

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Allen
DDP layers suspicously the same size
on Oct 28, 2011 at 9:26:08 am

Hi,
I've just made my first DDP image of my project as a test, and the two layers are almost exactly the same size - which slightly concerns me. The manual layer break option on Encore doesn't seem to do anything so I've left it to auto. I've got three videos - 80 mins, 25 mins and 17 mins - so I'm hoping that it's putting the 80 minute video on one layer and everything else on the other layer. Given this situation it seems far too improbable that the two layers will both be exactly 3.04 GB: it leads me to pressume that Encore has just sliced the whole project in half, and placed the layers break in some odd place in the middle of a video.

Any thoughts anyone? I've burnt a dual-layer test DVD and that works fine, but not sure if the DDP image will be exactly the same. Just don't want any nasty surprises when I send it to the replicators.
Cheers,
Paul

Avid Media Composer. PC with Intel DP35DP s775 iP35 ATX motherboard. Core 2 Extreme CPU QX6800 2.93GHz (4 CPUSs). 2030MB RAM. 256MB Nvidia Quadro/FX1500 PCIe

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
Re: DDP layers suspicously the same size
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:44:33 pm

I'm afraid I haven't used CS5 yet, but when we send to replicators, I export the project folder from Encore (VIDEO_TS) and then burn it with IMGBurn which will do a nice job of setting a legal layer break.

Then I use GEAR Pro Mastering to convert the DVD-9 to DDP and it has passed every time. (touch wood)

I'm not sure if anyone else will have input concerning Encore's DDP filesets, but if you have access to the programs I mentioned, it might be worth a try.

Hope it helps,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:57:21 pm

Thanks Clint, that's very helpful,
Paul

Avid Media Composer. PC with Intel DP35DP s775 iP35 ATX motherboard. Core 2 Extreme CPU QX6800 2.93GHz (4 CPUSs). 2030MB RAM. 256MB Nvidia Quadro/FX1500 PCIe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:48:56 am

Hi Paul,
I wouldn´t burn a DVD and then create a DDP from it afterwards. there are far to many reasons not to use this workflow - read/write-errors on the disc for example.

as far as I´ve heard, gearmaster pro could create DDP-images from a muliplexed VIDEO_TS-folder from harddisc.

the layerbreak-information is allready present in the video_ts-structure, but it wont be used by most burning-programms.

if you have a mac you could try to control it using the Demo of DVD AfterEdit. There will be a red arrow on the cell, that containing the layerbreak.

you can also easily export DDP-images or write DLTs with the mastering edition of DVD AfterEdit.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:34:46 am

Hi Danny,
Sorry, I think I could have explained myself better. I made the DDP direct from Encore - the DVD I made was separate and just as a check. The Gearmaster pro route certainly sounds like it could sort out the problem, but at £373 I resent taking this route when I bought Encore on the basis that it could produce a DDP for replication. Likewise, I don't really fancy learning a new program such as After Edit (and finding someone with a mac to use it!) but I may have no choice. Thanks for the work-around solutions all the same though, much appreciated.
The dual layer side of Encore just seems thoroughly broken - and from reading other posts it was a problem in earlier editions too (I'm using CS 5.1).

Sorry for sounding grumpy, I'm just completely fed up with this! Encore need to sort this out ASAP and deliver on what their software promises.

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Oct 29, 2011 at 11:38:26 am

Ok, I think I've discovered something which is pretty significant in relation to this that I've not found discussed elsewhere. The manual layer break option only appears ONCE YOU START BUILDING YOUR DVD (or DDP Image or DVD Master etc..) - and not straight away - it is only a few minutes into the build process that the dialogue box pops up (if you've selected manual layer break). I think this should hopefully solve my woes, but I'll be back if I hit any more snags. Hope this helps other folks who are hitting their heads against a brick wall with this - Adobe should really make it clearer that the dialogue box does not appear straight away.

Paul

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:32:22 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have someone with experience look or write the DDP images for you. Encore isn't used much in profesionL DVD authoring environments much and this is a good example why.

Also, youre shooting in the dark here without knowledge of what a layer break is and what is required for delivery.

I've just seen too many horror stories not to say something :)

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 30, 2011 at 6:12:37 am

agree!

it might be a good idea just to built your DVD-LD on your harddisc and go to someone who has got DVD AfterEdit Mastering Edition or similar and the dedicated knowledge of DVD-spec and how to create a proper DDP-image.

If you were located in germany I could do this for you - but I guess you are TO FAR away from cologne ;)

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Oct 30, 2011 at 6:28:40 pm

Thanks Eric and Danny,
Yes, see what you're saying. I guess programs like Encore are increasingly being built to challenge the way these thing have traditionally been done - but no good if they have lots of bugs! I think I've got it working fine now though - and may just order a test print of the DVD before full production just to check that it's ok.
Cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:40:38 pm

Hi Paul

Ask the replicator for "check discs" for before the final run. This is not an option. Check them on as many players as possible

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:01:26 am

Ok, thanks Eric, good idea. I've just been having this discussion with the producer and we were coming round to the idea that it's probably worth the extra cost to be safe.
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:01:42 pm

Ok, forget what I said before - Encore is once again refusing to give me the manual layer break option. Starting to get pretty fed up with this program...

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]