FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best choice for my situation? HD vs SD --DVD vs Blu-Ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
What's the best choice for my situation? HD vs SD --DVD vs Blu-Ray
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:45:30 pm

I'm doing some work with an independent filmmaker who just completed a feature length documentary and he's starting to show it in theaters and festivals. Due to extensive use of Standard Def archive TV footage - the film was posted in 4:3 standard def.

Now, theaters that want to show the film say they'll support playback from either DVD or Blu-Ray.

Given compression and bitrate and stuff like that, what's the best option?

1. Give them a good old-fashioned DVD

2. Take the SD movie and blow it up (in Final Cut) to a 1280x720 Sequence and create a Blu-Ray from there, leaving black bars on the left and right to preserve the 4:3

3. (this is something he mentioned and I thought I would ask) Take the SD film, drop it into a 1280x720 sequence but don't blow it up. Effectively giving you the screen size of the SD DVD but with the added bit-rate of Blu-Ray. The blu-ray would have black all around the image but let the projectionist deal with that.

I have all the toys at my disposal. FinalCut 7, Compressor, Toast, Production Premium 5.5 and a blu-ray burner.

Thanks so much!

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: What's the best choice for my situation? HD vs SD --DVD vs Blu-Ray
on Oct 5, 2011 at 1:45:06 am

Theres a thread a couple down which deals with the same issue. Your stuff is SD...there's nothing to change that. Blowing it up and it will still be SD - just on a bigger canvas.

A GOOD encode at DVD bitrates vs. up rezzed SD at BD bitrates will look the same. Dont know how to correctly up-rez SD footage? Thing will look worse.

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:06:45 am

Thanks for pointing out that thread - I didn't pick up on it. It's about the same predicament we're in.

What's the best way to uprez if and when we go that direction?

Thanks!

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:52:49 pm

Andrew,
there are a few technical things you might think about in your discussion aobut SD and HD:

- upscaling SD to HD will take some time, if you would like to do it with good scaling-tools
- encoding HD-material will take much! longer than SD-material

but there are a few advantages as well:

- you can create a popup-menu on upscaled material on your BD
- you´ve got better control of the upscaling-quality, the upscaler in tv-monitors are not very good

so I would advice to upscale anyway.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]