FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with Pioneer BDR-206 from OWC; troubleshooting and resolution

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Issue with Pioneer BDR-206 from OWC; troubleshooting and resolution
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:20:09 pm

I thought someone might benefit from my morning spent troubleshooting.

I just received a Mercury Pro External BluRay burner from OWC (macsales.com) I initially plugged it in via FW800 to my Macbook Pro 2011. I opened Toast 9 and attempted to burn a data BluRay. I got an error that said; "connection is unstable" and I had to cancel the burn. At that point, the drive was locked up and I had to power it down and manually eject the disc. After that, I couldn't get Toast to "see" the drive via FW800 or USB2. For kicks, I tried putting in different types of media; DVD, CD, BluRay... nothing would read. The drive would only make a little noise every two or three seconds, followed by the LED coming on. This would repeat endlessly.

I pulled the Pioneer BDR-206 out of the enclosure and rigged it to a Wiebetech enclosure I have. Whattayouknow?! It worked perfectly and I was able to burn a BluRay disc. So, apparently, the enclosure is the problem.

I wanted to narrow the problem down even further, so I put the Pioneer back in the Mercury Pro enclosure and tried to read my burned disc. No go. Same on and off behavior. So, I dug around and found an alternate power supply that matched the one that came with the Mercury Pro. I plugged it in and voila! Everything works like it is supposed to! So, bottom line, bad power supply on the Mercury Pro.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
Re: Issue with Pioneer BDR-206 from OWC; troubleshooting and resolution
on Oct 6, 2011 at 10:30:28 pm

Thanks Jason!

Posts like this are terribly helpful to the community. It is surprising how often a bad power supply can bring production to its knees.

Thanks again!!

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Issue with Pioneer BDR-206 from OWC; troubleshooting and resolution
on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:29:45 pm

No problem, Bruce! Other World Computing was great about giving me an RMA to return the power supply for a replacement.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]