FORUMS: list search recent posts

having trouble making SD Blu Ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Sartori
having trouble making SD Blu Ray
on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:49:52 pm

I have a documentary that I want to screen in Blu Ray (the only other options are standard DVD, so this will look better).
I've encoded in Compressor to an MPEG2 elementary stream and Dolby Digital Professional audio, which gives me an m2v file and an ac3 audio file. I set the video format in Compressor to 720x486, NTSC. This is how the file was recognized actually, as being 720x486.

But now when I import the assets to Encore, the m2v is showing up stretched, and Encore lists it as being 1440x1080, not 720x486. Did I encode it wrong? It took about 5 minutes to import the asset, did Encore stretch it? I don't know Encore at all, I just installed CS5, and havent the faintest idea how to use Encore. It seems similar to DVDSP.

How can I burn a 720x486 Blu Ray? Help

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: having trouble making SD Blu Ray
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:06:14 pm

Blu ray is an HD format. While it does support 720x480, going to BD isn't going to make your footage look any different. SD is SD.

Was is shot and edited 720 x486?

Return to posts index

Sean Sartori
on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:52:19 pm

I am aware that going to Blu Ray will not "make it look better" than the original. It will, however, be a better compression than a DVD compression, as Blu Ray holds more information than DVD's. Hence, screening from Blu Ray will look better than screening from DVD.

I've abandoned this tack, however, for lack of time, and the festival programmer has agreed to accept another format.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 30, 2011 at 6:43:52 am

Thats not true at all. You can get "better compression" all you want with the finest and best encoders and it will still be SD in the end. Its like taking a pint of milk and putting it into a gallon bucket

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Oct 1, 2011 at 4:11:10 pm

[eric pautsch] "Thats not true at all. You can get "better compression" all you want with the finest and best encoders and it will still be SD in the end. Its like taking a pint of milk and putting it into a gallon bucket"

Eric while the spatial quality won't be any better (absolutely correct) there are some cases where Blu-ray may give a superior result to DVD for SD footage. Two examples off the top of my head - anything over 3 hours long even on a DVD9 is going to look far superior if encoded at 15Mb/s H264 on a BD25 with PCM audio as opposed to DVD encoded at 6Mb/s MPEG2 and down.

Second example - if you did want to present uprezzed footage on BD you will get amuch better result upscaling the original less compressed footage (for example 1:1 Digital Betacam) than upscaling highly compressed MPEG2 video from a DVD using on the fly hardware scaling.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:01:37 pm

Far superior? Doubtful. 6mb is a fairly high avg bitrate and will accommodate PCM audio if you know what youre doing so the difference in bitrates would be negligible depending on the compressionist and encoder.

Assuming the Operator knows what he's doing, you could be right on the second example.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]