FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p encode-cinemacraft to encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Styles
24p encode-cinemacraft to encore
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:58:06 pm

Hello all--I am indesperate need of some help. I edited a feature shot on the Panasonic AGDVX100a in 24p advanced mode. I edited in the 24pa timeline in Premiere, and output a 23 gigabyte 24p file (using the 24p codec in premiere). I am going to encode in Cinemacraft BEFORE outputting in ENCORE...but have never used cinemacraft. Can someone offer some help? I plan on doing a multipass VBR DVD encode...but do I set the frame rate to be 23.976 ...or 29.97...and do I do any type of pulldown? Do I set the parameters to be progressive? PELASE HELP!!

I just want a GREAT MPG2 encode that I can bring straight into ENCORE...without getting the frame rates etc all screwed up

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: 24p encode-cinemacraft to encore
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:46:20 am

Cinecraft isnt cheap and you are asking novice questions? No offense
Yep.....23.98 and progressive. Pulldown flags are attached to the file and will play progressive or 29.97 depending on the players output

Return to posts index

Trevor Styles
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:22:40 pm

Eric...I clearly stated I ahve never USED Cinemacraft before. So I am a novice to it, yes. I got the program for $800...which I thought was fairly "standard" as far as price goes, considering what everyone says about its compression ability. I will be able to more than triple my money back just in initial sales of my DVD...but I want the best quality, so I invested in a nice encoder...I just don't get how to "use it". So yes...I take "offense" to the notuion that you are implying something else.

The question stemmed from this:

I, as I stated, did all of the editing on a 24p advanced timeline in Premiere..and output at 23.976 frames. When I bring it in to other programs (After Effects/Premiere) it specifically calls it a 23.976 file...HOWEVER when I right click on the file in Cinemacraft-it reads it as 29.97)...which brings my question....23.976...or 29.97??? This has confused me.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:40:51 pm

It's because of the pullsown flags attached to the mpg file. DVD was invented before there was a thing called progressive video.

Sorry if I offended but to help someone who didnt purchase a piece of software wouldnt be good. Just seems like alot of money to spend unless you do loads of work or dont know the basics of mpg compression for DVD.

Return to posts index

Trevor Styles
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:11:04 pm

no I get it. Thank you. Yah--I spent the money because I plan on selling a minimum of 500 dvds. I just completed a feature length movie...but have no clue what I am doing as far as a lot of this stuff (I am doing it all myself). I just wrapped our Premier Party, where over 500 attended our no-budget zombie flick. I did the encoding in Adobe Encore...but noticed the picture was not up to MY standards (especially with the titles)...so I did the research, and came across Cinemacraft. The User Interface is "less than friendly", and the directions have been of little help as well as the forums. So I tried here. I have had to teach myself all the programs thus far…and it has been a HUGE undertaking, as I have no “training” in any of this.

Cinemacraft gives me 2 options:

1) 29.97
2) 23.976 with 2:3 pulldown

I did an 8 pass VBR encode at 29.97 fps, and it looked GREAT on my dvd player. Which makes me wonder if that is the correct FPS for this file?

My concern though...should I in fact be doing the encode as a 23.976 file with the 2:3 pulldown? And what is the GOP N & M (set at 15 and 2) for? Do I need to change those?

I am fast realizing this encoding thing is far over my head. Truth be told...when I purchased the encoder I thought it worked IN PREMIERE...so I would just click the codec to use, and Adobe would figure the rest out. I didn't realize I would have to set all the parameters myself, and that it was a “standalone” program. I thought it would be a great investment, since my dvd sales should MORE than cover the cost of the codec and everything I have put in thus far, plus I would be able to use it for all future dvd projects. Any help is appreciated...

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:20:00 am

Personally I'd hire someone to do the work for you if you feel you aren't comfortable. You can really screw things up with Cinemcraft. N value is just the amount of frames between I Frames (Inter Frames) in your GOP (Group Of Pictures). M value is the frames between your I Frames and P Frames (Predictor). There is also B Frames(Bi-Directional)

How are you viewing your picture? Through Progressive outputs or interlaced? What kind of monitor?

Return to posts index

Trevor Styles
on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:40:45 pm

Hey Eric--yah...when i first looked into this I called a place in LA (I live in Montana...we don't make movies here :)) abbout authoring it for me. They were going to charge $1000...so when I heard about Cinema Craft for $800...I thought I could do it myself (because I know how to use Encore).

I am viewing on a BluRay Player on a Hi-Def TV. (so progressive)

Interesting---I ran many tests in Cinema Craft. When I choose 23.976 as my frame rate, my picture is all interlaced and looks bad.

When I pick 29.97 as the FPS and 5000 VBR with an 8 pass encode, I get a pretty stunning picture. So I think that's what I should be doing. (even though my master file is a file done in Premiere rendered using the dv 24p codec). The other interesting thing is, when I bring that master file into Premiere or After Effects it reads the FPS as 23.976...but when I click on "Properties" in Cinema Craft, it reads it as 29.97. The only logic I could make of this, is that it is truly a 29.97 file with flags inserted so that certain programs "read" it as 23.976...cinemacraft not being one of them. I don't know...maybe that's it?? I am new to all this...this is my first feature film, that I wrote, shot, produced, directed, did all the visual effects and sound for. You can see our web page (waydarkerthanyouthink.com) or our Facebook page (way darker than you think)...like I said...I don't really know what I am doing. I used a chunk of the $$ we made from the premiere for this codec...and now I need to get dvds created before Oct 22nd...yikes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]