FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest BluRay burn speeds in OSX???

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Mickelson
Fastest BluRay burn speeds in OSX???
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:23:26 am

I am only getting 1x burn speeds.
I am using the NexStar DX USB enclosure with Sony BD205 loaded purchased from VideoGuys.com.
Using Verbatim BD-R 2x and 4x media.

One thing: Since purchasing the enclosure and drive from Videoguys.com the unit has never worked with the SATA to my 17" Macbook Pro through the Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro express card. All my drives and raids work fine with the Tempo Pro, just the NexStar does not work.

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB ram, SLeopard 10.6.8, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Fastest BluRay burn speeds in OSX???
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:31:32 pm

some enlosure have problems working with eSATA-connection because of the bridge-chip that´s been used for USB-connection.

I have an external enclosure from OWC, that´s working fine, 2-4-speed tested.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:39:08 pm

Turns out that the Pioneer BDR 206 is most likely at fault. It will not work with my external enclosure(NexStar DX) that I bought from Videoguys.com. They want nothing to do with the drive after 30 days and have brushed me off to Pioneer. It appears that the drive that Videoguys.com is selling is highly incompatible with OSX, yet Videoguys.com makes no mention of this, it is all over the Apple.com forums as incompatible for multitudes of reasons ranging from sleep problems to OSX Snow Leopard and Lion incompatibilities. Again no acknowledgement from Videoguys.com about these problems. It appears that OWC knows about these problems and offers a solution.

I used to get most of my mac hardware from OWC and then started using videoguys.com to save a buck. Well no more. I will start using my local VAR for the support they offer, I might spend $20 more for the drive but they will always get me the right stuff and make sure it works correctly.

Good buy videogoys.com

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:57:56 pm

We have tons of customers getting great results on Macs with the BDR-206. OWC sells the BDR-206 for Mac users as well.

I will look into potential issues with the Vantec enclosure we bundle with the BDR-206 and Lion. That may be the cause of the problems, but I doubt it.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:01:26 am

It's not the enclosure. I tested it with a hard-drive and it did just fine with the AJA disk test.

The Pioneer BDR-206, I was told, was not compatible with Macs and never was intended to work with them. It's magic if they do according to Pioneer. Mac is not mentioned as compatible on the website and there are many pages of incompatibilities with macs on Apple.com/support.

All I know is that it does not burn faster than 1x and does not work through the eSata port on the NexStar DX enclosure(though hard-drives do), and Videoguys.com cannot confirm the BDR-206 works with a laptop through the eSata port yet advertise that they in fact do.

I am using the Tempo Pro express port card. Hardly an esoteric card. All of my other hard-drives with eSata ports work with this express port card. It is among the highest rated cards for the Macbook Pro.

Sorry Gary but Videoguys.com have not been very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]