FORUMS: list search recent posts

horizontal line(s) at top of subtitles after rendering (imported image/fab scripts)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Guertler
horizontal line(s) at top of subtitles after rendering (imported image/fab scripts)
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:58:36 pm

Hello,

using CS5 Encore from MasterCollection.

my topic is that after the rendering of a dvd (PAL, interlaced, 25fps, 720x576) for some (but not all) subtitles a small horizontal line appears (only some pixels width) directly on top of the subtitles like being part of a border. The color is the same as the body part of the characters (not the border). There is no systematic way like for every single line or double line - the structure seems to be random.

The image fab scripts are produced by the following procedure: (aegisub .ass -> avs2bdnxml -> BDSup2Sub -> subtitlecreator to reduce color depth). The import to Encore itself does not show the horizontal lines, neither does the preview (I tried the zoom function too -> no lines). There, everything's ok. The lines appear only after the rendering, but no error message occurs during the process.

I also checked the pictures of the subtitles with a picture viewer- they are totally ok - there is no line above any subtitle.

Using the same subtitles outside of encore (with muxman/ ifoedit and by using sup files that were produced by BDSup2Sub), no such line appears.

The lines appear not only for one substream, but for all (>20), but as mentioned not for every sub.

I cannot use the rendering engine of Encore, because several languages are right-to-left ordered and Encore does not handle this properly. Additionally, Encore does not allow to import .ass styles which I need for my work.

btw - does anybody know why Encore does not allow to import 3+1 colors (1 for transparency, 1 for antialiasing) but only 2+1, whereas itself provides internally antialiasing+transparency (=3+1)? That seems to be a nasty bug... and no tutorial regards this as a bug. The dvd specification allows for more than 2+1. If subtitles are rendered outside of Encore, one color is lost (unless one wants to de-/remux and re-author the dvd afterwards).

Thanks for any hint&help,

best,
Leo G

Return to posts index

Kerim Friedman
Re: horizontal line(s) at top of subtitles after rendering (imported image/fab scripts)
on Apr 3, 2014 at 12:54:27 pm

Did you ever find a fix for this problem? I'm having this issue now and I can't find anything online. I tried adding a few pixels to the image height, but it didn't help.

Return to posts index

Alex Hunter
Re: horizontal line(s) at top of subtitles after rendering (imported image/fab scripts)
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:15:15 pm

Hey Leo and Kerim,

We've been having similar issues today importing FAB scripts to Encore CS6. Actually, the lines for us appeared in the Monitor and Preview as well as in the outputs.

After speaking to one of Adobe's support techs, we tried importing the subtitles to a brand-new project with only the one relevant timeline; all the lines disappeared.

With a bit of wrangling we found success with the following steps:
- Open the project
- "Save As" a new project
- Remove all the old subtitle tracks
- Import the new FAB script

The lines haven't reappeared for us yet. Hope it helps for you as well.

Return to posts index

Kerim Friedman
on Apr 4, 2014 at 1:41:30 am

Alex,

I was very excited to see this suggested solution, but I'm afraid it did not work for me. I created a completely new project and imported the FAB script as the only subtitle track, but the problem persists...

Return to posts index

Leo Guertler
on Apr 28, 2014 at 9:36:59 am

Dear Kerim,

sorry for my late answer. Yes I found the root of the problem - please read my small post here:

http://www.anicca-vijja.de/2012/03/how-to-produce-subtitles-especially-for-...

-> please see the last section of the post. You can also read the manual to spumux, it covers this topic shortly (but one has to read carefully to identify it).

As I do not use CS6 but CS5, I still work with the solution outlined above. Not an automatic solution, but it works quite well. If you follow the rules in my post + the working procedure, you get as good as looking subs as it is possible within the restrictions of dvd subs.

If you have any questions, please send me a mail (see webpage above contact).

best,
leo

Return to posts index

Kerim Friedman
on Apr 28, 2014 at 2:56:11 pm

Dear Leo,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I can't see how to make sense of it with relation to the FAB Image Scripts I'm using. Here are the first six images (ignore the fact that the numbers skip 004). The ones with an "X" don't show the line, the others do:

IMAGE001.png 00:00:23:20 00:00:28:20 773 936 1147 1065
IMAGE002.png 00:00:29:03 00:00:33:22 680 994 1239 1065
IMAGE003.png 00:00:34:03 00:00:41:09 865 1001 1055 1065 X
IMAGE005.png 00:01:13:12 00:01:17:23 785 1000 1135 1065 X
IMAGE006.png 00:01:17:23 00:01:25:10 852 1001 1067 1065
IMAGE007.png 00:01:51:07 00:01:57:06 775 932 1145 1065 X

I don't see an odd/even pattern in the Y coordinates. They seem just as likely to be odd numbers as even numbers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kerim

Return to posts index

Leo Guertler
on Apr 30, 2014 at 11:15:38 am

Dear Kerim,

yes, you're right. This is indeed not the pattern I expected. Your example does not make any sense at all. However, you can try to adjust all y coordinates to an even Y coordinate (no need to adjust the pictures, this was never necessary in my case).

The Y coordinate adjustment worked for *every* of my problems and it matches the statements in spumux. Probably your case is directly related to FAB and the way FAB organizes subs.

However, I still think it must be related to the Y coordinates. If you convert to avi and some mpeg4 codec there is sometimes a problem if the y height cannot be divided by 4, 8 or something like that. Maybe you can experiment with that idea.

best wishes and good luck,
leo

Return to posts index

Kerim Friedman
on May 4, 2014 at 3:04:39 am

Thanks. I tried adding 1 to the y coordinate, but I didn't think about the entire y height. Here are the heights along the y access for the ones I posted above:

Fail: 374, 559, 215
OK: 190, 350, 370

I will look through more to see if the pattern is consistent. I have some other projects I have to deal with first, but I will report back when I can.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Mohune
on May 4, 2014 at 7:33:06 pm

Hello there,

Wow, I'm happy to see I'm not the only facing this issue. It really seems to be a (another...) bug from Encore DVD, since I can't figure out any pattern that would explain the thin line.

I tried to save as the project, delete the problematic subtrack, and import in a new track the FAB file. Well, it gets better, but the subs that now have the line are not the same !

Getting a little bit desperate here.

Return to posts index

Leo Guertler
on May 5, 2014 at 10:30:49 am

Dear all,

I never figured out completely whether it is the uneven y-coordinate or the height (uneven number) that creates the problem of the distortion of horizontal lines.

Then - yes, that's a bug in Encore, it probably does not have this bug if the internal function to create subs is used.

Then - there is another nasty bug. If you import already prepared graphics into Encore (CS5) it throws away one color. This is not the case if you use the internal function.

Therefor I prepared the whole dvd with Encore and later replaced all substreams. There are guides for this on the net - it won't change the dvd structure, menu, or whatever.

best wishes
leo

Return to posts index

Casey Noland
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:26:53 am

SOLVED! (well a solution anyway)
While I could not get rid of the intermittent horizontal lines above my FAB image script subtitle imports in Encore CS6 I was able to get even better results by using a text script.

In my case I am using Subtitle Edit to create/edit/export subtitles. Since Encore FAB Image script was top of the export list I just went right for that initially - then I ran into two things, 1) the text quality was pretty poor because the image import only works with 2+1 colors unlike the 3+1 when entering text manually within Encore, and 2) the horizontal lines appearing on ~15% of my subtitles just looked BAD and unprofessional, especially when laying over the picture.

I'll skip the hours spent pulling hair and get to the good stuff.

What to do:
1) In Subtitle Edit > Export choose 'Export custom text format'
2) Create a new format and use these settings:
* {number} {start} {end} {text}
* You also have to change the timecode format to hh:mm:ss.ff (for some reason this didn't stick for me so you'll need to update each time you export a new track)
3)In Encore when importing subtitles select text script and choose the file you saved.

BONUS:
If like me you are dealing with chinese subtitles as well as other languages you will probably run into issues where some characters are not supported and display as boxes with X's in them. Worse still Encore doesn't appear to let you switch fonts to find one that may support your characters. In my case it just kept sticking to Kozuka Gothic which didn't have what I needed.

Another long story short before you hit the final import button paste in this font: DFKai-SB, which (for me) supported everything I needed.

Return to posts index

Kerim Friedman
on Jul 24, 2014 at 8:51:32 pm

Seems like this solution will only work for Left-to-Right languages? In my case I'm trying to create Arabic subtitles and have to use FAB image script because of Encore's lack of support for Left-to-Right. For this reason it seems a solution using a text export would not help. Or am I missing something about the way "export custom text format" works?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]