FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray: encode video in MainConcept Reference and author disc in Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kriss Rozins
Blu-Ray: encode video in MainConcept Reference and author disc in Encore
on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:45:21 am

Hello!

I relised that h.264 Blu-Ray encoder that comes with Adobe is not giving very good quality. Even with large bitrates (2-pass VBR 30-35 Mbps, High profile @ 4.1 Level) I cannot get a good result, especially when it comes to videos shot on film, with natural film grain. So I decided to try MainConcept Reference 2 encoder because I've read of it's good performance (at least better than Adobe MainConcept).

I did some test encodes to Blu-Ray h.264 (tried encoding pressets and custom settings) and the problem is that Adobe Encore CS5 don't want to accept those encodes as they are. When I import those .264 files from Reference, Encore wants to transcode them again and I cannot choose Transcode setting to 'Don't transcode' for those clips.

Is there a special settings known for Reference to create Blu-Ray h.264 video files for Encore, so that Encore shouldn't transcode them again?

Thanks!
Kriss

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Blu-Ray: encode video in MainConcept Reference and author disc in Encore
on Aug 29, 2011 at 11:38:07 am

hi kriss,
reference encoded H264-files will be accepted within encore. there is only one exeption - menus.

menus allways will be transcoded to MPEG2HD. that´s a bit weared, I know - but that´s the way adobe has programmed encore.

so you can import H264 for all kind of films exepted your menus. to get the best quality for menus you should import a PSd-file and a quicktime-movie for your moving background.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Kriss Rozins
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:41:51 pm

Thanks for reply!

But why Encore wants to re-encode my h.264 file from Reference? I mean the main movie file, not some menu backgroud video files (I want to create a Blu-Ray disc without any menus - just a movie that launches right after disc is inserted into BD player).
Encore project is set to Blu-Ray h.264.
As far as I understand, it means those h.264 files that comes from Reference are not natively accepted/supported by Encore.
Any ides why so?

Kriss

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Aug 29, 2011 at 4:17:25 pm

hi kriss,
I tested encore CS5 with reference 1080i50 H264-elementary streams this morning and the have been working fine. I´m sure it will work with NTSC-framerates as well.

I´m quite sure that your project-settings wont match your h264-files (framerate/picture-size). in that case encore will allways transcode your files.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Kriss Rozins
on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:28:05 pm

What kind of settings in Reference you use?

I tried Blu-Ray H.264 High Resolution with some changes of default settings:
Program stream (.mpg) setting changed to Elementary streams (.264, no audio - I have a seperate audio file which is BD compatable in Encore)
Bitrate set from 1-pass VBR 20000-24000 to 2-pass VBR 30000-35000
Higher bitrate and 2-pass mode is chosen due to intensive film grain in original video file. Movie is shot on 35mm and it has some natural film grain, especially in darker shots and I want this grain to be reproduced as good as possible.

Input file is self-contained QuickTime with DNxHD 185 X 25p video stream in it. Output framerate in Reference is set to 50i.
Also the Encore project is set to Blu-Ray h.264 50i.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Aug 29, 2011 at 6:16:32 pm

hi kriss,
I´ve figured out your problem!

the main (remaining) problem is the VBV. they had problems with it within their settings with reference 2.1 as well, if you use settings besides the presets.

I´ll sent a bug-report to stefan, I´m in close contact to/with mainconcept.

workflow would be:

1. set your bitrates
2. go to advanced settings and klick into the checkbox to force bitrate buffer lenth to 1 sec. you´ll see, the bytes within bitrate-buffer will change
3. encode

then you can use the file with encore.

just tested with an H264 1080i50-file.

cu

danny

Return to posts index

Kriss Rozins
on Aug 29, 2011 at 6:42:11 pm

Great!
Gonna try this out tomorrow!

Huge thanks! ;)

Kriss

Return to posts index

Kriss Rozins
on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:01:27 pm

So far everything works fine - Encore accepts new encodes as they are.
One question: what is the difference between h.264 AVC Professional and h.264 AVC Broadcast?
Those two settings in Reference are a bit confusing for me.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:13:21 pm

the difference is quite easy to explain:

AVC professional have no AVC-intra-support, while broadcast have.

AVC-intra is a professional broadcast-format developed by panasonic.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]