FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to DVD Does this make sense?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Durwood Hibbard
HDV to DVD Does this make sense?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:21:24 am

Here is my thought process...does this makes sense?

I am looking to record in HD but would like to output to a Widescreen DVD. Total footage time would be approx 1.25 Hours. With my camera I can shoot 1920x1080 at 24Mbps, 17Mbps, 12Mbps, 7Mbps or 5Mbps. with a frame rate of 60i, PF30, PF24, or 24.

So I have been playing around with different settings to try and achieve the best possible quality in Encore. My source video in its original state looks outstanding. Have been recording at 24Mbps and PF30. Bring it into PP CS5 with the matching settings and use dynamic link to Encore. When burned to DVD no matter what settings with the encoder I try the footage loosed much of it definition and looks very blurred.

So I was thinking last night while laying in bed. Max safe output for DVD is around 9Mbps while a more realistic setting would be 7Mbps. If I was to record my source video at 12Mbps or even 7Mbps and 30 frames a second, would this squish the footage less when putting it to DVD? In return making the quality a little better?

In short less squish = better quality.

If you stuck it out reading all of this I appreciate it. Let me know your thoughts....as for me I have some test footage to record :)

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: HDV to DVD Does this make sense?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:19:59 am

Youre confused. DVD is MPEG 2 only at 720x480 (ntsc) 720x576 (pal). 9.8 is the ceiling for video but its not advisable to go anywhere near this unless you know what youre doing.

Any video you have need to be encoded to MPEG 2 first

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Aug 8, 2011 at 12:39:28 am

I understand that DVD is Mpeg 2. As for the ceiling I admit I was a little off. I have been converting to Mpeg 2 to put it on a DVD. I can get any footage I want onto DVD. My attempt is to get the finished product to be of the highest viewable quality that it can be on DVD. If you think of a movie that you have watched on DVD (full or wide) It was most likely recorded with HD cameras. I wouldn't see Hollywood filming the same scene twice with HD and then SD. So when they put out there final product onto DVD the quality is not as good as blue-ray but there finished product is far greater than what I am seeing as a result. I am not Hollywood, but I do feel as if I should, and could be getting a better result with what I am working with.

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Aug 8, 2011 at 12:41:13 am

On a different note. I am using a Cannon Vixia HF S21.
I did some test footage today using a 12Mbps at 30frames and 7Mbps at 30 frames. The end result was better using the 7Mbps over the 12Mbps, which was far better than then 24Mbps I had been using. I will try using the exporting option from PP as I have been using dynamic link and letting Encore do the encoding. The camera also has a HD to SD converter built in that I might try. New to HD....New to the Camera....I am still figuring things out.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:32:43 am

Well youre never going to emulate the quality of a Hollywood/Burbank features for several reasons.

1. They dont shoot HDV which is a highly compressed HD format.
2. Down conversions are high quality
3. The encoders used run the cost of a small condo along with operator which know how to use them. It often takes a week or two to finish encoding a Hollywood feature.

What are your workflows? You should be down converting in Compressor first to get your 720x480 16x9 Anamorphic SD down conversion. I use a PC tools call AVISnyth and Virtual Dub along with some custom scripts for this.

Once you have a properly down converted file you can encode. I use Cinemacraft SP2. Mac has a FCP Plug-in from Cinemacraft as well. Encore's encoder is a piece of junk

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:01:53 pm

I pull the footage off of the camera and put it on a hard drive. I import it into Premiere Pro CS5 and drop them into a sequence that is set up for the original footage. Finish editing in PP and open up Encore. I use dynamic link to bring the footage into encore. From there set up the DVD and build the disk. I hope this makes sense for my workflow

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:35:39 am

First you need to down convert. Dont let Encore do this step for you. Id export out of Premier an uncompressed 720x480 16x9 Anamorphic AVI first. Once your piece is down converted you can encode. If you have After Effect, it does a pretty good job of this too. Each tool uses different algorithms for down converting so its best to experiment.

Here's a great tutorial from Jeff Bellune, a moderator on this list:

http://www.bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12

Once you have a down converted AVI, you can encode. But first you need to calculate your optimum bitrate. Use a bitrate calculator like this one:

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Like I said, Encore's encoder sucks IMO and you can find better ones that are free. I use Cinemcraft....but its $2000.00.

Here's one people swear about:

http://hank315.nl/

Also here's a link to several other good encoders:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-encoders-mpg-dvd

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:54:08 pm

I took some time yesterday and today recording myself at different Mbps and frame rates. After which I loaded them into PP under their appropriate settings, and finally exported them Encore via the following; Dynamic link to encore, Export to mpeg-DVD, Dynamic link to AE then render to mpeg-DVD. After all of this I am getting the best results with my source footage at 24Mbps 60i, and exporting from PP as mpeg-DVD. I have one more test I am going to do which is compare my current best results to the camera converting to SD.

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:08:11 pm

My final test revealed that my best quality while maintaining as much of the original picture was bringing the 1080i footage from the camera to Premiere Pro then exporting from there as mpeg-DVD. I also noticed when recording at 1080i, 24Mbps and 60i frame rate that if I set the shutter speed on the camera to1/100 it improved it a little as well.

Return to posts index

Tracey Gudwin
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:59:09 am

Hi, I am new to this forum. I shot a project with a Sony EX3 1080 25p and edited it on Final Cut Pro. I then converted the file to Quicktime using the pro res 422 settings. The Quicktime is 35gb..looks great. The title sequence looks good. When I try and make a dvd using Toast the whole project has artifacts and the title look like I hand wrote them. I have been reading about this problem for weeks and cannot solve it. Should I have used compressor? Again the quicktime looks great...I also read that I cannot make a high def video on DVD. Is that correct? Please help!!! I do not understand what I am doing wrong....also I am a camerwaoman and not an editor:) as if u hadnĀ“t realized that already:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]