FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL 29.97 fps

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hildreth
PAL 29.97 fps
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:22:40 pm

I've got a concert shot 1080p/30 that will release on DVD and Blu-ray worldwide. I occurred to me today that I might not need a 25fps version for the European Blu-ray.

Will Blu-ray players worldwide play 1080i/59.94? I've heard many US players will not do 25, if the reverse true as well?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: PAL 29.97 fps
on Jul 3, 2011 at 6:24:29 pm

Hi David,
you can relax.

your 1080i30/i29.98-material will play fine in BD-players all arround the world.

you would get in trouble if you have any 25/50fps-material on disc, that´s only mandatory for coutries that broadcast in 25/50fps.

these discs/clips wont play anywhere else in most cases.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Donald Riley
on Jul 3, 2011 at 6:43:01 pm

I'v sent BDs off to Australia at 29.97 and haven't heard back yet. But as I understand it, all PAL countries Broadcast at 25 FPS for HD to allow for PAL SD. Also the HDTV in those countries are 50 FPS I suppose, If that is the case, which I didn't realize before I sent the discs how are they able to play a 29.97 disc?

Thanks Don

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:03:21 pm

all NTSC-framerate would be played worldwide, but 1080i50, 720p50 or PAL SD are only possible to playback within europe, africa and australia, (all Region B-countries).

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Donald Riley
on Jul 3, 2011 at 8:14:19 pm

Thanks Danny

I'm still a bit confused. I know all about DVDs, I send them all over the world, but now I'm switching to Blu-ray and I'm going to switch over to CS5 from FCP as well. So lets just talk HD and see if you would be so kind in responding.

You say that 25 fps is only necessary for countries that broadcast in 25 fps. OK, don't all those countries Broadcast at 25 fps, and further aren't their HDTV sets 25 fps. If that is the case am I correct in assuming that the BD Player will compensate for the 29.97 frame rate that I sent off.

Thanks
Don

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 3, 2011 at 9:08:44 pm

don,
I haven´t said, that 25fps is necessary to use for countries that broadcast in 25fps.

mandatory written down in the BD-spec as follow:
1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080i30(23.98), 720p60, 720x480 (NTSC-SD).

for these coutries that broadcast in 25/50fps they have extended the BD-specs, so for these countries the hardware must playback 25/50fps as well.

(example): for europe and australia mandatory as well are:

1080i50, 720p50 and 720x576 (PAL SD)

so - if you need to create a BD that should be playable all arround the world, you must use one of the upper framerates and no PAL-framerates.

the all will be playbacked fine on the players over here (I am in europe) as well.

I hope this helps to give you a bit better understanding.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Donald Riley
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:05:55 pm

Thank you very much Danny

I get it now. That is a relief to know, I sell most of my discs at trade shows here in the US. so I'll only have to make one of a kind for everyone. By the way how do like Encore? The experimental discs I sent to Australia was done with Toast not a real authoring tool.

I'm finally going over to CS5 knowing Apple probably won't come out with what I need.

Thanks again Don

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:25:36 am

Hey Don,
well - I don´t like encore very much, but it´s the only authoring-tool for BDs on mac available that´s worth to talk about.

encore has too many bugs and also to many limitations, but using blusteak tracer or blustreak tracer you can extend it´s capability.

http://rivergatesoftware.com/

I know all professional bd-authoring-tools and have worked with all of them (exept sony bluprint).

my favorit is DVD Logic software as it has a very good price and it´s easy to use, but this is also PC-soft only.

http://www.dvd-logic.com/easybd/

as a lot people have been frustrate with the last release of FCP (including me), I´m not sure if we would see a new authoring-tool from apple.

what a shame - nearly 80% of all replicated DVDs have been created using DVD SP but now apple decided to set FCP to EOL.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Donald Riley
on Jul 4, 2011 at 9:53:00 pm

Thanks Danny

I'll check out your suggestions.

Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved