Umbelievable problem in exporting DVD from Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie Finch
Umbelievable problem in exporting DVD from Encore
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:05:34 pm

Hello folks, i am trying to do my FIRST DVD ever in Adobe Encore CS5,
and i have really big problem, asking you for help with it.. :

- i did cut movie from ski trip, which lasts 2:42:46 and it is in normal (more bad like nice ) quality in 720x576.
- there i did cut it in Premiere Pro, which i did export through Adobe Media Encoder in lovest bitrate as possible (i think is 1,5 Mbit)
...- the movie file has 2,7 GB

-- you think the size for DVD (MPEG-2, i think) is normal ?
-- i did use bitrate app 5 and the size increased to 4,5 GB (is it normal, even the quality of video is really bad ?)

it wouldnt be such problem to put 2,7 GB video file into DVD ( I need place for some bonus videos, pictures..)
but THERE I FOUND PROBLEM.. .. when i import that video to Encore, make timeline of the video by ctrl+T , that timeline is SHOWING (and within new DVD Image is also as I see used) BIGGER SIZE .. in info of timeline _(left side) is : size of encoded video: 4,something GB !!!
b
How Can I use in that DVD ORIGINAL SIZE 2,7 MB ??? i really need this advice, or i never finish my movie..

Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You !

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Umbelievable problem in exporting DVD from Encore
on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:05:10 pm

Hi Richie,
congratulations to your first project.

yes - creating a DVD is not very easy, we all know that.

but you should learn some basics first:

1.) export your film as selfcontained mov or avi to your harddrive - don´t use the dinamic linking.

2.) you need to create a bitbudget depending on the duration of (all) your films, menus and additional data.

3.) encode your stuff using the right encoders (like adobe media encoder)

4.) import the transcoded assets to the authoring app and do the authoring.

if we are talking about 160min. duration your video-bitrate will be at 3.5MBit/s to nearly fill your DVD with your film.

this calculation is depening on the idea you´ll have AC-3 dolby digital audio @192kibt/s, which is normal for stereo-audio.

if you go 3.5Mbit/s for your video you need to select a VBR with 3.5Mbit/s target-rate and a max. of 7.8Mbit/s.

DVD-spec could be 10Mbit/s data-rate (audio+video) but DVD-/+R could only handle up to 8.5Mbit/s in most cases.

so allways take care about these values, and allways take care about you field-dominance.

if you working with PAL SD you field-dominance is upper first on most formats - but all DV-formats are lower field first.

your video-encoder should have the same field-dominance as your source-video-file.

.... enough information for your first project - go and get it.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Richie Finch
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:13:15 pm

Hello Dan,

at first thank you for the answer, i apretiate it realy much.
1 okay then. I will try to export it to avi .. normally i am exporting the sequences from Premiere through AdobeMediaEncoder into MPEG-2
-and ther is problem hat encore will not eat the size (VBR 1,5 Mbit) which is a2,7 GB size but it transcode it somehow to 4,2 GB file size and i dont want to do that.
2. budget.. yes , I know.. i know ho to count normally, videos, music, menus together.. but wit fisrt problem n.1 it is realy hard to solve that
3)I do use Adobe ME
4)i use the authoring app Adobe Encore CS5, tDo you think if I would use some older encore (2,0 or smthing like that) would the problem with self-encoding okay ?
do you think that encore is self-encoding it because of an audio track inside the MPEG2 file ,maybe I could use smaller bit rate for audio (128 kbit)?
now i am trying to export these three variants of MPEG files.. som i am interested in how ig they wil be in Encore.

Cheers , Rich

Return to posts index

Richie Finch
on Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17:09 pm

HEllo Dany,
thank You for info.
actually I was trying to import movie into DVD project with less than 1,7 Mbit/s .. and there was no usage .. still big file size. (yes. it has smt about 2:40:00 but anyway. the quality is really bad,and its 720x480'

So this is my biggest trouble in encore, which i try find problem solution again and again and I am still failing :

1/ -- I prepare movie in Premiere
2/ -- I export it in any format droughout Adobe Media Encoder (now did not export only AVI ) ..- it has some size -- according target bitrate per second
3/ -- I import file (mpeg audio + mpeg video(m2v+ac3 files(2 file export - multiplexer-DVD, or mpg (one file ; multiplexer -none))
into Encore where is called an "asset" , and HAS ORIGINAL SIZE like exported from AME(!)
(!!) -- BUT -- i need to the TIMELINE (ctrl+T) from the original movie -- and THIS KIND of movie WILL BE BURNT on the DVD !
and THIS IS THE PROBLEM..- the timelinte SETS ORIGINAL FILE FOR ENCODE !!! WHY !?? I cannot Understand !! so that basicly means, file 8 MB has final encoded size 14 MB, 1,6 GB file has 2,5 GB, 3,6 GB file has 7,31 GB !!!

I really do not want to ENCODE IT SECOND TIME !! but there i cannot find some button to turn it OFF !! hoewer , i see the original files I´ve exported in 25fps, and transcoded file has it in 29.97 fps !! (it was and I want it set on PAL)
-- and in preferences settings (edit-preferences-general-general) i DID NOT set the "Transcode assets using Adobe Media Encoder application" BUTTON !!! (it is "off") basically, it changes ANY video file to BIGGER like an imported asset..
only one way is to do the DL DVD and I dont want to do that, because really, the video quality sucks for the DL project !

any Idea ?? thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 3, 2011 at 5:48:22 pm

Hi Richie,
there could be only one reason why you haveing trouble like this: you project-setting is wrong.

you´ve never told us before that you are working in PAL, so you need to set your project-settings to PAL and not NTSC.

best thing would be to start over with a new project with PAL-settings, so your assets wont be encoded again and will stay at 25fps.

you´ll see the film wont be transcoded again, and will stay at 25fps.

cheers

danny

PS: PAL and NTSC can´t coexist on DVD!

Return to posts index

Richie Finch
on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:00:11 pm

Yes, that was the problem :-)

But now i see another problem. .I am beginning to hate the Encore software more and more...

I ve prepared DVD project with good data capacity, but trying to export there are still error texts :

export to DVD Image : Encode error
export to DPP Image : "End of stream has been reached" (means id did not export)
export to DVD file : General error

I begin to thing make DVD in Encore is impossible

:-( you have had these problem messages ?

Thanks , Rich

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:32:12 pm

Richie,
did you use encore on PC or mac?

there are several issues why this could happen, I guess - but I can´t give you a hint on that, especially on PC, as I´m on mac system.

in general I would create a disk-folder first before I start burning a DVD or creating a disc-image.

and you don´t need to create any DDP-image unless you would go for replication with the disc.

be sure all timelines have got assets, check encores "check project-window within the built-tab for other errors.

no more ideas - sorry.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Richie Finch
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:32:43 pm

Thanks a lot..
I will tell you result..

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>