CS4: Linking buttons to specific chapters in timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McQueen
CS4: Linking buttons to specific chapters in timeline
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:51:38 pm

I have a single menu with five items.

Items 1-4
I want each of these to play 1 chapter and only 1 designated chapter.

I have connected each of the buttons as linked with a chapter marker in the timeline, but instead of ending at the end of the chapter I've linked to, the DVD continues to play on to all subsequent chapters.

How do I get each selected chapter to end at it own natural end and return to the menu?

I can't seem to make a chapter an asset.

Thanks for your help,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

William McQueen
Re: CS4: Linking buttons to specific chapters in timeline
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:29:39 pm

Followup question is how do I get all of the chapters to play continuously for Button 5.
B

[William McQueen] "I have a single menu with five items.

Items 1-4
I want each of these to play 1 chapter and only 1 designated chapter.

I have connected each of the buttons as linked with a chapter marker in the timeline, but instead of ending at the end of the chapter I've linked to, the DVD continues to play on to all subsequent chapters.

How do I get each selected chapter to end at it own natural end and return to the menu?

I can't seem to make a chapter an asset.

Thanks for your help,
Bill in Toronto"

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:58:16 am

hi william ,

If i understood correctly you want one button to play complete timeline having all the chapters and other buttons to play individual chapters . You can do this by using chapter playlist .

Link "Playall" button with timeline .

Create chapter playlist for every chapter , set end action. After linking when chapter plays end action will be executed (ex: return to menu)

Link button 1 , 2... to chapter playlists .

Try this solution if this works or you.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:18:02 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

I've set up a Chapter Playlist and each of the first four buttons play a designated chapter and then returns to the menu.

However, I seem to be unable to designate the "play all" function for the 5th button. I linked it to the single timeline, which has 5 named Chapters 1,2,3,4,5.

However, I see no "play all" function and when the play all button is activated, it persists in playing just chapter 1 and then returning to the menu.

I do see timecode for chapter 1 defined as 00;00;00;00 to 00;00;03;00. I wonder if I made chapter 1 to run to the end of the timeline. Probably would just set the entire timeline to one chapter.

I did make a copy of the one main timeline and renamed it and removed the designated chapter numbers, but Encore read it as requiring additional space and a double layer diskette.

The learning curve has been "healthy", but I cannot seem to solve this last question of how in addition to playing each chapter separately, I can have the play-all function play the entire timeline at the same time.

Thanks so much for your interest to help.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:12:25 pm

Hi william ,

I think you have set end action to chapters , don't set end action to chapter rather set end action to chapter playlists (5 in numbers).

You need to do the following :

1. Create timeline , add chapters to timeline.
2. Create 5 chapter playlist having one chapter each( Ex:chapter playlist 1 having chapter 1 and so on ...) .
3. Set end action to chapter playlist(return to menu)
4. Now link your button 5(play all button) to timeline.
5. Link other buttons to chapter playlists .

You don't need to duplicate timeline to do this ( this will add up space ).

Reply if this worked for you.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 28, 2011 at 4:21:49 am

Hi Minu,

Yes, originally I did set the individual timeline chapters end actions, but later have changed them to "not set" by deleting the previous references.

I deleted an earlier Chapter Playlist, and replaced it with a new one, specifying the end action for the Chapter List designating returning to the menu at the end of the chapter.

**I also set a 12 second avi transition for each of the first four buttons, but it fails to appear in the DVD rendered.

For the first four buttons I've used the "preview from here" option, and the "execute end action" (which is supposed to be to go back to the menu).

In the DVD for the first button, the DVD continues to play into the next chapter instead of returning to the menu

The same is true for the second, and other buttons. The menu starts properly to play a selected chapter, but it does finish by going to the menu.

For the fifth - it now does play the entire timeline, but for it to do that, I had to use the Chapter play list to make that work, but the menu doesn't appear at its end.

When I test "execute end action" in "preview from here" it indicates a return to the menu, but this is not rendered to the DVD when I've burned it.

It is the same on a computer playback, a fairly new Toshiba and a slightly older Sony player.

It has been a good learning occasion and I appreciate your willingness to help, but I wonder if the programme retains some erroneous info and maybe I should do another iteration with a fresh start from the beginning. Time consuming, but....I don't know.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto.

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:38:39 am

Hi william ,

Can you post screenshot of your flowchart , i want to have a look to understand whats going wrong in your project .

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 28, 2011 at 11:27:48 am

Hi Minu,

Here is the screenshot of the Flowchart. I see there is an orphan element, but when I do a Build-Check Project there are no "complaints" from the programme.

http://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#

Thanks so much,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:30:23 pm

Hi william ,

There are somethings not correct in your flowchart .

1. Link button 5(playall) with timeline(which is orphan) . Set timeline end action to menu. No need to create chapter playlist for this.
2. Your chapter playlists should contain single chapters and should have end action set to menu .There is no end action set in your flowchart.

I am posting my project screenshot covering same workflow. I hope this will help you in understanding.

In my flowchart 1st button is linked to timeline and rest are linked to chapter playlist .You can distinguish between items from there icons .

Let me know if this solved your problem.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:35:30 pm

Here is my flowchart screenshot :

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 28, 2011 at 4:26:48 pm

Hi Minu,

>>2. Your chapter playlists should contain single chapters and >>should have end action set to menu . There is no end action set >>in your flowchart.

I notice that the menu icon is connect to the right of each of chapters 1, 2 ,and 3 in your representation. I assume this is what is called a representation of an "end action."

I have indeed set the menu as the end action in "Chapter Playlist" properties tab, but those icons do not appear in the flowchart. And using the whip thingy, I cannot drag a connection between each of the C3,C4,C5 thumbnails and the menu.

Also would like to have transitions for chapters 2-5, but I will run another diskette and see what happens. The Check project shows no anomalies.

Thanks so much,

Regards,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:09:11 am

Hi Minu,

>In my flowchart 1st button is linked to timeline and rest are >linked to chapter playlist .You can distinguish between items from >there icons .

Do you mean: You create the chapter playlist (for a single timeline) and leave all the chapters in the left hand pane, rather than move them to the right hand pane in a new order?

I simply can't get the menu icons to appear following each chapter play as you do in your screen shot, despite having set the menu as the end action through the chapter playlist.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:02:28 pm

HI William ,

From your flowchart it seems your first button is linked to Chapter playlist not timeline ( From icons i mean : check icon in your project panel for the items and compare them in flowchart).

I think you are getting confused while creating chapter playlist , Let me try to explain :

1. Create timeline . Create chapters in timeline.Set timeline end action to menu.
2. Select Timeline and create chapter playlist .
3. For Chapter 1 to play , only bring( double click) chapter 1 from left to right . Now you have a chapter playlist that will play chapter 1 . Set its end action : Return to menu .
4. For chapter 2 to play , create chapter playlist , bring only chapter 2 to right side . Same way for other chapters .
5. Now link Timeline to playall button and chapter playlists to other buttons.
6. Now check your flowchart .

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:21:04 pm

Thank you so much for your help, Minu. I may do a little debrief later on today, but need to go out now for some errands. I deeply appreciate your patience, and I do have an authored disk now that does mostly what I needed to do. And I learned so much...in the process.

Thanks again,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

William McQueen
Re: Debrief -CS4: Linking buttons to specific chapters in timeline
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:34:31 am

Minu, in your previous mail you wrote:

1. Create timeline . Create chapters in timeline.Set timeline end action to menu.
2. Select Timeline and create chapter playlist .
3. For Chapter 1 to play , only bring( double click) chapter 1 from left to right . Now you have a chapter playlist that will play chapter 1 . Set its end action : Return to menu .
4. For chapter 2 to play , create chapter playlist , bring only chapter 2 to right side . Same way for other chapters .
5. Now link Timeline to playall button and chapter playlists to other buttons.
6. Now check your flowchart .

I followed this fairly carefully, but found that I could not get the "playall button" to link successfully to the timeline of the project and was left with it as an orphan. However, what did work was to set up an additional Chapter Playlist for the playall button, and copied all chapters into the right hand space of the Chapter Playlist tab. (left double click on the Chapter Playlist name in the Project Tab.) Although I was left with a timeline orphan, I burned the diskette anyway. And the diskette functions perfectly. I know the encore_CS4 help file said to delete such extraneous files, but couldn't figure out how to do that. Nevertheless, the DVD works well in Windows7 Media Player, and my relatively newer Toshiba player.

Thanks again, Minu.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:56:14 am

Hi william ,

I am glad that i could help .

Linking button to timeline is simple , just use pickwhip or click on Link drop down from propery panel and select timeline .

Anyway , what you did( Create chapter playlist ) can also serve your purpose.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:09:15 pm

The problem with linking the timeline is that it will only play Chapter 1 and not the rest of the timeline chapters. But even though the disk works in my Windows7 Media Player and also my Toshiba player, when I've tried to duplicate the original disk, the dup machine says that the "Master" is "bad" or that the length of the blank single disk is insufficient for a single layer, even though looking at the disk itself, it only fills the Master about 3/4. Still a lot of learning to do here, alas.

Again, many thanks,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:13:17 pm

Maybe because the orphan timeline is still in the queue, the disk has recorded both size requirements for the timeline and the Chapter playlist and thus it appears that there is too much material for a single layer.

Oh well...such a saga.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

minu sharma
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:21:42 am

Hi William ,

If you want to replicate the discs , Create a DDP image instead of DVD disc .

DDP image and DLT are used as masters to replicate the discs. DDP image feature is available from CS5 , if you are on CS4 you can use DLT but that requires extra hardware.

Replication from DVD disc is not recommended .

To know the details check encore's help file.

Thanks
Minu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]