FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer shuts down during transcode : CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Bail
Computer shuts down during transcode : CS5
on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:14:10 am

I just finished editing a bunch of stuff in Premiere, dynamic linked it into Encore, grabbed one of the pre-made menus and wanted to do a test build.

I get about halfway through the transcoding and BAM..... computer shuts down. No error, no warning, no nothing. I don't know exactly when it happens because I have not been staring straight at the screen when it happens yet.

After the problem, I updated drivers for my video card. I am running windows 7 64 bit, updated. Using CS5 to do everything. The test I am running is only a ~6 min DVD.

Before I spent all the time with the edit, I did run a test clip all the way through, that worked fine. In that test clip I did exactly the same, built stuff in Premiere, dynamic linked in some After effects stuff, dynamic linked into Encore, slapped on a menu, and made the DVD.

The IT person inside me hesitates to say "nothing has changed with my system," because clearly something is going on. But It was just a month ago I ran the successful test, nothing I am aware of changed about my system.

Any idea what is going on here?

Return to posts index

Wes Bail
Re: Computer shuts down during transcode : CS5
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:27:43 pm

So any ideas on this issue? Looking around on the web for information it seems most likely to be related to heat buildup or hardware issues?

Anyone else experience this problem and get it resolved?

It is a pretty major deal to find ".... something in your hardware is causing the problem..... " as a POTENTIAL solution to this issue. It is not realistic for me to just start replacing computer hardware to get this to work.

I cleaned up the processes, yanked the side of my computer off and pointed about 19 fans into my box for another test..... found the machine shutdown in the morning once again.

I also am slightly shocked and disappointed that this would be the issue. My computer is nothing great, but it is not a clunker by any means. I have an Intel i7 processor, a nvidia gtx275, 6 gigs of ram. Am I just wrong in thinking this machine can use CS5 and all the working parts (After effects, Premiere, and Encore, dynamic link) to make a DVD?

Answers, direction, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

Return to posts index

Wes Bail
Re: Computer shuts down during transcode : CS5
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:21:00 pm

I know it depends on what is causing my issue, but in general, would getting a new video card make HUGE differences?

Are the Quadro cards that much better for doing this sort of stuff? Are the quadro cards the "industry standard" for home video work? What is the most important part of the hardware for doing this video work? Is the RAM more important? Is hard drive management the most important hardware choice?

I can read all the specs and numbers, but to simply use CS5 stuff to make a DVD what level of hardware is the "standard?" I know these are broad general questions, but I am looking for general answers.

I can start to evaluate my hardware and try to make necessary changes, but I would like to rule out the free alternatives first. If I can make this work as is by tweaking some settings, or buying a $25 fan, I would like to find that out before purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades. Or worse, a whole new machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]