FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Chapter Markers in Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Kasel
FCP Chapter Markers in Encore?
on May 27, 2011 at 8:22:16 pm

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this anywhere so I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

I edit my projects exclusively with FCP. Some projects can have as many as 40-50 chapter markers. Now that I have Encore, I'd like to do some of my work in Blu-Ray. Is there any way to bring in my markers without having to do them all over again?

The majority of answers I get for this is simply "no." But, I have had a few people say that there is a way to import the markers in some sort of text file, but nobody has ever explained how this is done? Is this possible?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: FCP Chapter Markers in Encore?
on May 30, 2011 at 4:31:28 pm

hi rob,
first of all - I haven´t done this either, but I´ve been told that you should export a XML-file out of FCP, import this to premiere and then send the projekt to encore using direct linking.

so you might give it a try and let us all know.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Fasano
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:13:32 pm

I have done this using the xml procedure and it worked just fine.

Return to posts index

Devin Terpstra
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:50:59 pm

Charles, does this mean you are using Creative Suite for the encoding, or do you just replace the media with encodes created with Compressor? Or do you bring in your Compressor encodes into Premier? Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:20:25 pm

I'm trying to get exactly the same answer - because what I have right now are .264 files that have been created in Compressor that I want to use with Encore to create a blu ray disc - but I want chapter markers, and don't want Encore to re-encode the .264 files.

I really don't want to have to bring the Quicktime ProRes files into Premiere and do the dynamic link and have it re-encode all those files again, nor do I want to have to add the chapters again manually in Premiere before sending it on to Encore. I hope there is a solution - anybody know how to handle this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charles Fasano
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:38:37 pm

My workflow was to create a regular H.264 1920x1080 quicktime movie in FCP7. Then I encoded the movie to mpeg4 Blu-ray USING Adobe Media Encoder. This new mpeg4 movie was then imported into Encore CS5 and placed in its own timeline. I then manually added the chapter markers myself.
I figured in using Adobe Products for encoding, authoring, and burning created a more seemless workflow. It took time to manually enter 23 chapters in Encore but that's ok, it was just positioning the playhead and pressing the "*" key and naming it.
The final blu-ray product worked perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Devin Terpstra
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:59:26 pm

Thanks Charles, I was afraid that was going to be your answer. We do event videos and have a high volume, up to 20 finished DVD's a day, which is no problem in DVD Studio Pro. But with Blu-Ray, chaptering by hand would get a little time consuming.

Return to posts index

David Zimmerly
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:18:19 am

Here's a late reply to this thread. I came across this tonight when I was dealing with the same thing in CS5.5.

The FCP export to XML, import to Premiere and Adobe Dynamic Link sequence import to Encore WORKS JUST FINE. The key piece of information missing so far is that once you have imported the FCP-originated XML into Premiere, you must then double-click on each marker in your sequence to open the marker options dialogue and then select Encore Chapter Marker to ensure compatibility with Encore. Resave the project, reimport the sequence into Encore through Dynamic Link and everything is then hunky dory. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:52:09 am

David, your post was almost perfect, and yes, it worked for me! However there is a bit more info that will be helpful to anyone else going through this that I will share. First, once you have the project sequences in a Premiere Project, you'll have to Send to Encore and they will show up as Project Sequences in Encore. However, they won't have a timeline associated with them until you assign the sequence to a button in your menu. Then a timeline is created. Note that the timeline WILL NOT have markers. Once you have a timeline for your associated sequence, double click to open the timeline. Again, there won't be any markers there yet.

Now, right-click or option-click the timeline clip itself - and one of the selections available to you will be "Update timeline with Premiere Project Markers?" and when you select it it will give a warning dialog that all existing markers will be deleted (not a problem, since there aren't any there anyway yet!) Click OK, and presto- all the chapter markers from the Premiere Project Sequence associated with that timeline will appear!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]