FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay made in US, playback in UK - moire on stills

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Hung
BluRay made in US, playback in UK - moire on stills
on May 25, 2011 at 6:35:10 pm

Hello fellow cows,
I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. Also, I'm not sure if I am posting it in the right place, but here goes.
I outputted a timeline to BluRay disc, at 1080i 23.976. Playback to my broadcast monitor, and playback of disc on my PS3 to Samsung HDTV are all good. However, when I playback the disc over in the UK on a Sony BluRay player and Panansonic HDTV, some of the stills are exhibiting some serious moire. I'm totally stumped why this would be happening.
During the edit process I definitely treated the stills as they should be for FCP, resized to minimal sizes before importing and editing, sometimes I had to use a tiny amount of gaussian blur, etc. The normal workarounds for stills that are getting jumpy. I believe that I've done it all relatively by the book.
I know that PAL/NTSC doesn't matter in BluRay, HDTV land. So I am assuming that isn't the problem.
The only thing that I think I should try is to take the output, before transcode to Mpeg2, and deinterlace it?This would diminish quality a little, but not noticeable to a normal audience member. Would this in fact make a 1080p24 BluRay?
The HDTV and player in the UK both have "True Cinema 24p" options according their specs online, but while I was there setting up the system the settings for each component was very limited. I hardly remember seeing a setting for 24p.
I'm wondering if I'm missing something or knowledge that I haven't learned yet.
Any ideas are welcome...
Thanks in advance
Joseph
ps output to Apple ProRes 422 HQ 23.976, then transcoded in Compressor to Mpeg2 / dolby digital 2.0, then encoded in Adobe Encore to BluRay. I am pretty confident I did everything correctly. It looks great here, but over there in the UK some of the stills look bad. Help!

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AE CS4
Quicktime Pro 7.6.4
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322
Panasonic Lumix GH1, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: BluRay made in US, playback in UK - moire on stills
on May 30, 2011 at 3:48:47 pm

hey joseph,
it´s no good idea to create your BD-menu using compressor to encode as ALL encore-menus will be re-trancoded to MPEG2HD even if you allready encoded it before.

you can blame adobe for that! the best way to go is to encode all assets to you prefered codec but you need to leave out your menus. import your original MOV into encore and let him encode the menus.

so you´ll have no re-transcoding.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
Re: BluRay made in US, playback in UK - moire on stills
on May 30, 2011 at 5:19:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Daniel! I'm not sure what you mean by menus during the encode process. I'll be creating a menu and sub menu through Encore...but during the transcode I didn't make any sort of menu...

I noticed in Encore that the BluRay transcode settings for the Compressor-transcoded .m2v file was automatically set to "Don't Transcode" I'm guessing this means Encore is NOT re-transcoding the .m2v file. If Encore is in fact doing this, then shame on Adobe.

I'm guessing what you are saying is to output the Apple ProRes 422 HQ .mov file, bring that into Encore, and let encore do the transcode, so it is only a single transcode??? Even though the settings say "Don't Transcode"????
Can I deinterlace with Encore perhaps?
Best,
Joseph

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AE CS4
Quicktime Pro 7.6.4
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900