FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray project - kiosk mode suggestions

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Van den Wyngaert
Blu-ray project - kiosk mode suggestions
on May 11, 2011 at 10:02:44 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask.

We're in the process of creating an interactive blu-ray video presentation with Encore CS5. The project will be shown on a PC with touch screen, where the user will not have any access to keyboard or mouse, but can control the presentation with the created menus, via the touch screen. Encore is the perfect tool to setup the entire presentation, at least until we found out about a silly usability issue: it's very easy for the user to exit the presentation. Obviously we don't want that, as the kiosk will be unattended most of the time.

When we output the project to Flash, Encore will always show the PlayerControlBar which has the fullscreen toggle, and thus gives the user the option to exit the full screen mode, and start messing around with the system. Adobe doesn't allow Encore authors to edit the main Flash interface player controls, which is a big bummer, else we could probably simply disable the full screen button and have a suitable alternative solution (although not as hi-def as Blu-ray).

When outputting as a blu-ray disc, extra player controls will show up on screen, depending on the player software used. So far we found out that there is no such thing as kiosk mode in Cyberlink PowerDVD 11, so users are able to cancel the presentation as well. I'm not sure about the few other blu-ray software players out there.

Does anyone have some experience with this? I guess other people must have had the kiosk mode request before.

Return to posts index

Stephen Ausherman
Re: Blu-ray project - kiosk mode suggestions
on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:32:36 pm

I am trying to do exactly that (blu-ray on touchscreen PC in kiosk mode). Please share your solution.

Return to posts index

Peter Van den Wyngaert
Re: Blu-ray project - kiosk mode suggestions
on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:01:27 pm

Unfortunately I don't know of any decent 'digital' solution yet. We ended up putting a tape over the bottom navigation bar, so the users could not interact with it. I know, it's a silly solution, but it worked :) It's a shame that the controls (when exporting to a Flash presentation) cannot be edited.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]