FORUMS: list search recent posts

PS3 playback appears jerky

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
PS3 playback appears jerky
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:13:50 pm

Is anyone having issues playing back BD-R in a PS3 with the latest PS3 software updates? I've always tested projects (built in Encore CS5 and mastered with Blu Streak) on a PS3 and two other Blu Ray players before declaring the master good to go. I haven't had any issues in the past, but on our most recent project the video on the PS3 just doesn't look quite right. It has a slightly jerky feeling to it and looks almost like its playing slightly too fast. Instead of 60i - perhaps 70 or 80. The disc plays fine on the other 2 blu ray players. I'm wondering if one of the recent software updates for the PS3 may have caused an issue with BD-R playback - its been a month and a PS3 update or two since I last had to check a disc.

Anyone else seeing something like this?

Thanks,

Don Hertz
AC Media

Return to posts index

Peter McEvilley
Re: PS3 playback appears jerky
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:11:27 pm

Don,

I was thrilled to see your post. I thought I was going crazy. I'm having the same issue. I made a BluRay of a feature film I directed, and it looks jerky on my PS3. I've checked it on other players and it looks fine. Have you had any luck with the problem? I've tried everything. Sorry I don't have a solution, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
Re: PS3 playback appears jerky
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:04:48 pm

Peter - I wish I had a good answer for you. The problem did go away but I can't tell you which step in our process ended up fixing it as we made several changes at once - encoder, media, authoring, etc. I was very unhappy with the results of the Adobe Media Encoder for creating the video files. We have footage with a lot of small detail in the frame - trees, leaves, grass, etc. This encoder had a difficult time with this and tended to blur most of the small detail together creating noticeable MPEG artifacts often. We switched over to an encoder from DoStudio that was great (couldn't afford Cinemacraft!). Clean details with no artifacts at the same data rates. So we encoded on a PC with DoStudio, transferred to a Mac for authoring in Adobe Encore, and then mastered the final Blu-Ray on the same Mac using BluStreak. The final disk worked great on the PS3 - but I can't tell you which step fixed it. We also switched to using Verbatim BD-R media at the suggestion of our Blu-Ray replicator.

Hope some of this info is useful. If you need help let me know. My encoding workstation sits dormant most of the time as it's a PC and we do everything else on Mac. I'd be happy to try and run you feature film through it and send you back the encoded files. Or if need fairly simple authoring I can knock that out in Adobe Encore and BluStreak Premaster too. Good luck!

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]