FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p24 + SD PAL25 on same Blu-ray disc ???

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Crooks
1080p24 + SD PAL25 on same Blu-ray disc ???
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:47:05 pm

Is it possible to have PAL 25fps SD content and HD 1080p24 content on the same Blu-ray disc ???

I've managed to author and preview the disc but when I go to build I'm getting some weird errors with the SD timeline.
Error: "invalid format", Code: "14", Note: "value of DisplayExtension colour_primaries. transfer_characteristics, or matrix_coefficients not supported in the BD standard."

???

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: 1080p24 + SD PAL25 on same Blu-ray disc ???
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:52:22 am

hi daniel,
yes - by spec it´s possible to mix all frame-rates with Blu-ray but there are strong limitations within encore.

another problem: 25/50i-material wont be played anywhere outside PAL-countries in most cases, as BD-spec has a limitation for 25/50i for PAL-countries only, so you need to go 24p or i60.

and finally: encore couldn´t handle HD and SD-clips on the same disk, the material will be transcoded depending on the project-settings.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:22:37 pm

I have to jump in here...

Encore can author multiple codecs, framerates, and resolutions all on the same Blu-ray disc without problems. This all within spec and works great.

However, I would take Danny's advise on the 24p/60i or 25p/50i issue. There shouldn't be a reason to mix NTSC and PAL content on a single disc.

In Encore, the project settings only determine the default transcode settings. You can manually set the transcode settings of any individual asset, or you can import a pre-encoded asset (such as an SD MPEG2 DVD file) and it will not re-transcode for Blu-ray.

I have done this before many times, and can confirm that it works as I stated.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:55:45 pm

hey john,
you´re right in some circumstances - I forgot the specific transcoding-settings for the assets.

but have you ever been able to create a motion-menu that has been transcoded to h264?

as far as I figured out - menus allways be transcoded to MPEG2HD, please correct me when I´m wrong.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:14:50 pm

Motion menus are always encoded to mpeg2 in Encore, even if the project settings are H264.

However, you can mix h264, mpeg2, SD and HD videos all on a single Blu-ray disc.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36:15 pm

yes,
that´s what I expected would be you answer jon, but isn´t it a pitty!? you are creating H264-project-settings, but encore is doing it´s own way to go h264!

I´m very happy that I don´t need to rely on encore and all it´s obstacles.

good night

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]