FORUMS: list search recent posts

Static menus taking up 7GB of disk space?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
Static menus taking up 7GB of disk space?
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:54:02 pm

I'm trying to author a Blu Ray. My project includes a 20Gb video file, 166Mb audio file, and 8 completely static menus created using Photoshop. However, I can't burn a 25GB disk because my estimated build file size is 28.8GB. I really don't see how my eight static menus could be taking up over 7GB of space. Am I doing something wrong or missing a setting?

I'm running Encore CS5 on a Mac Pro.

Thanks for any advice.

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Static menus taking up 7GB of disk space?
on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:08:47 pm

It probably isnt. How long is your video and what bitrates did you set? It doesnt matter the size of the original file since it is transcoded to MPEG 2 or AVC. Think mb/per sec and check the bitrate and do some math and determine how large the file is on your build.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:27:10 pm

The file size on my video in Encore says it is 20.3 GB. On my audio it says 166.9 MB.

My video length is 122 minutes. I calculated the bit rate using the Blu Ray bit rate calculator over at DVD-HQ. It suggested an average bit rate of 24350 and maximum bit rate of 45100 and minimum bit rate of 9700 in order to fit 122 minutes on a single layer 25GB blu ray with 8 menus and stereo audio. Since encoding takes so long (especially on a 2 hour project) I decided to play it safe on that high end number so I set my average to 24000 and my maximum to 31000 Kbps thinking it would give me a bit of extra wiggle room.

Here's an interesting note. Encore just crashed. When I reloaded the entire project the final disc size in the Build menu has changed. It now says 25.1 GB. (Which still won't fit). Perhaps if I can just crash it a few more times my project will suddenly fit on the disc! (That shouldn't be too hard with Encore.) I still find it hard to believe that my 8 static menus should be taking up 3+ GB of space.

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:39:58 pm

If you added audio to those static menus, then En will transcode them as video menus. You don't have any control over that bit rate, which should come out to about 23 Mbps for BD.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:54:35 pm

Nope. No audio. And I double checked the Motion tab on each menu to make sure they weren't accidentally turned into motion menus.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a corrupt project. The size change on Encore restart is odd. Although the thought of spending several hours re-authoring the entire project is painful I may go ahead and start with a clean project to see if it changes anything. I may also try building the project to the hard drive to see if the final build size is smaller than Encore thinks it is going to be.

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]