FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore forcing transcode of Blu-Ray legal MPEG files

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Hung
Encore forcing transcode of Blu-Ray legal MPEG files
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:23:05 pm

Hello friends,

I have 4 1080i approx. 30-40 min. long projects in FCP. I output one of them with Compressor to .m2v, which took many hours, brought it into Encore, built an extremely simple Blu-Ray, et voila! I have a Blu-Ray disc that plays great and looks great.

The other three projects however, I've output through Compressor, same settings as I can remember, and now Encore insists on transcoding the .m2v files. I can't change the transcoding setting, it is forcing another transcode of these files, and I can't figure out why!

Here is my workflow with settings: FCP7 Apple ProRes 422 HQ projects 1080i 29.97, straight from timeline to Compressor, with separate assets MPEG2 Program Stream and Dolby Digital 2.0. I changed the settings within the MPEG2 to average bitrate 32.0 and max bitrate 38.0, and made sure stream usage was bluray. I got this setting from here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/861769

Everything else is as it is. Nothing has changed from my first build and burn, so why in the name of goddess is Encore forcing yet another transcode of a file that I successfully built previously? I'm trying to keep the transcode steps at a minimum.

One note: 2 of the projects was shot on a Sony nex5 29.97, which I brought into FCP with Log and Transfer into ProRes 422 HQ. The other 2 were shot on a 5DMKII, unfortunately at 30fps. I transcoded these with Compressor before cutting the video into ProRes 422 HQ and kept it at 30fps (Music was already made and at that fps, so to avoid having the music retimed I decided to change the file to 29.97 on output through compressor). All the timelines are the same exact settings.
The successful burn came from a project shot on Sony nex5 at 29.97. Encore is forcing a transcode on the two projects originating from the 5DMKII 30fps transcoded to .m2v 29.97. It is also forcing a transcode on the other sony nex5 29.97 native project transcoded to .m2v 29.97.
Because Encore did not transcode one project but now forces transcode on the other project of same origin, I can't imagine this being the problem.

Frame sizes have not changed.

What am I doing wrong??? Any insight is appreciated.

Joseph

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AE CS4
Quicktime Pro 7.6.4
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322
Panasonic Lumix GH1, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Encore forcing transcode of Blu-Ray legal MPEG files
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:34:42 am

hi joseph,
are you sure you´ve changed your MPEG2-setting correctly? a MPEG2-programm-stream is not BD-complient, so you might cross-check if you´ve created correct encoding-settings.

but I would prefer to use H264-encoding for BD as it is released with compressor that came with FCP7.

you could choose lower bitrates to get the same quality-level so you wont get in trouble with playback-issues because of high bitrates.

another reason why encore might try to transcode again is your encore project-setting. depending on your selected framerate and pixel-aspec it will not allow other assets (with other framerates) to pass through without transcoding, they all will be transcoded.

so here might be your big trouble!

cheers

danny

small note: I would allways export a selfcontained quicktime-mov instead of sending from FCP to compressor.

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:08:22 pm

Thanks Daniel for your reply.

through much experimentation, I noticed that Program Stream changes to Elementary stream when I change bitrates. Not sure why this is, and why Ken Stone and another Creative Cow author writes that we should choose Program Stream. Regardless, I still go this route because it has worked int he past just fine.

The other project of same origin (Sony nex5) I did a test and was able to output and bring it into Encore without having to transcode upon building. So, my new conclusion is that the two videos shot on the 5DMKII and at 30p is the issue. I rebuilt the timelines with converted master clips to ProRes and also conformed them to 29.97 with Cinema Tools. The audio is fine, it doesn't need to be retimed because these are art installations, it's just ambient music/noise, there's no real action to sync to.
In the end Encore still wants to transcode the m2v files from compressor, so I just bit the bullet and exported a full res ProRes self contained movie from FCP, dropped that into the Encore project and just let Encore transcode the darn thing. Without really knowing what the problem is, I have no choice but let Encore do what it wants. Really frustrating.

I'm actually having a new problem, it's with an ac3 file where in one spot the audio is scrambled when playing back on a player and HDTV. I'll post a new one for this.

Thanks,
Joseph

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AE CS4
Quicktime Pro 7.6.4
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322
Panasonic Lumix GH1, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 6, 2011 at 4:03:49 am

joseph,
I don´t understand why you still using MPEG2 for blu-ray if you can encode bd-complient H264 with compressor!

it will have a better picture-quality at lower bitrates, and less artefacts with problematic movements/pictures.

one main point:
if you´re encoding for blu-ray, there is only 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080i60, or if you are based in a 25fps-land there is also 1080i50.

but there is NO 1080i/p30 or 1080i/p29.98

that will be the reason why your film has been transcoded I guess.

as for your audio-problem:
if you´ve conformed your video-frame-rates, you also conformed your audio-sampling-rate.

for example: meaning if you previously had 25fps and conform to 24fps your audio will slide from 48Khz sampling to 46.065kHz.

it will be the same with 30fps to 29.98 or 24fps.

this will result in bad audio if you´ll give this audio to compressor or adobe media encoder to encode an AC-3-dolby audio, as the encoder expect/needs 48kHz audio.

so you need to export your audio to aif 48kHz after you´ve conformed it to the other frame-rate.

hope this helps.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]